First fridge fermenter- need a heat source?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motney

Reaction score
I am a newbie but have progressed to near completion of my first fridge fermenter controlled by a STC. I cannot submerge in water as no space what is best inside for heat a belt or pad? I could place a pad at the back but that gives me one sided heat. If I place the pad underneath it will heat up the dead yeast is that a problem? I was thinking of a very loose belt placed around it but not touching?
Any thoughts welcome.

What wattage is suitable for a normal size fridge with just one bucket of 5 gallons? There seems to be a choice of 60w,120w, 180w or 240w?
I presume it does not have to be much due to the fact that the heat is contained in an enclosed box ( the fridge )

60W? Why don't you use a light bulb?

Edit: scrub that, probably because the light won't do the colour of the wine any good...

I used to use a 100W bulb in my fermenting cupboard with a homebuilt temp sensor to turn it on/off. But in a fridge with the danger of overflowing yeast it is better to have something that is water proof - hence the tubular heaters.

Tubular heater fitted and working perfectly at long last I can stabilise my temps throughout the year in my uninsulated shed. Wonderful. Thank you!

Just be careful not to tread on your temperature sensor (like I just did) as it may not do it any good! :doh:

I love having a fermentation-fridge, it makes life so much easier. :cheers:

Ha,

I remember how well it works when the gaffer tape fails and the temperature sensor lands outside the fridge !
(so pleased only cooling/fridge was plugged in !)

Maysie said:
Just be careful not to tread on your temperature sensor (like I just did) as it may not do it any good! :doh:

I love having a fermentation-fridge, it makes life so much easier. :cheers:

alby said:
I remember how well it works when the gaffer tape fails and the temperature sensor lands outside the fridge !
Were you there?! :wha:
That's exactly what happened!!

The other one is when I walked away with the FV full of brewed beer and the probe was still attached to the FV.
The STC, wires etc all hit the deck. :oops:

Yes noted : ) I have stuck the temp probe straight thru the top of the fridge and into the centre of the fermentation bin. That way there's no wires and I get a truer temp reading of the actual wort however it causes another issue the temp probe is not heavy enough to fall straight down so I am currently looking for something to wrap around the cable to weight it down like a fishing weight but with a material that will not affect the beer. I have a tight grommet on the fermentation lid. I don't use an airlock I am not sure if that's right or not but it has always seemed to work without one.

Back