First kit - Few questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys, I made some cider out of the apples on my parents tree after getting sick of crumbles and tarts, so that's sitting in the shed, conditioning. Now I have a spare bin, hmmm.

So bought a better brew ipa pouch, some brew enhancer and some cascade hops.

My Og was 1.048, and it's sitting in a shaded area reading about 22c now.

Does it need to be properly dark, or just out of sunlight?

My plan is to let it ferment out, then transfer via syphon to another bin (going to get one with a tap on for bottling), then add some cascade hops, I was thinking 30g? Does this sound about right? Then leave it for a week with the hops in, remove hops and add 80g sugar, stir and bottle?

Then leave bottles in same place as it was fermented for a week, then put them into the shed.

Does this sound about right?

Thanks! Already thinking about what to do next!

Sounds about right. It doesn't need to be dark, just not in direct sunlight. Be prepared for a myriad of 'expert' opinions telling you to do all sorts of weird and wonderful things which may, or may not, improve your IPA. However, your thought process seems pretty much the same as what I do, except I don't have a second bin to rack to, so dry hop in the FV and I've not had a problem yet.

You may want to rack again before you add your priming sugar and bottle. That way you leave the maximum amount of trub behind in the bucket rather than in your bottle.

...or not rack the first time. Personally, I'd add the hops to the first FV after the initial fermentation has died down, leave them a week and then rack to your bottling bucket with your priming sugar and bottle.

jonnymorris said:
...or not rack the first time. Personally, I'd add the hops to the first FV after the initial fermentation has died down, leave them a week and then rack to your bottling bucket with your priming sugar and bottle.
I do that as well. Works for me.

Ah ok. So once its down to around 1.000, add the hops, leave for a week, then prime bin and syphon off?

Sounds a bit easier.

Cheers.

Does it matter about how much light gets to the ale? And when bottled do they stay indoors for a week then go in shed? Or if im priming the bin, is it in bottle and straight in shed?

Thanks again.

It won't ferment to 1.000 , probably end up between 1.005-1.010 , I never use a hydrometer as I just leave it until I'm ready to barrel it, usually between 7-14 days.

Sorry to be asking more questions... But,

Once the hops have been in a week, i plan to syphon into bottling tub with tap on. Im adding sugar to this to batch prime.

Once sugar mixture is cooled, and added to tub, how long should i leave the ale in there before bottling? Straight into bottles?

Then once the bottling is done, is it best to leave in fermentation area for a week or two before putting into the shed?

Thanks. Apologies as i know these will get asked alot, i just cant find the answers!

I have been given a youngster pressure barrel, I'm thinking of priming this with sugar and adding my IPA.

Mainly as I want to do the St. Peter's ruby red into bottles, but I won't have enough to do both.

Advantages / disadvantages please?

I started my 1st home brew Australian pale ale kit 2 days ago and there is no bubbling in the airlock yet is this a problem?

is there any other sign of fermentation, bubbles rising or on the surface, any foam ?

air locks are not very reliable its hard to get a good seal on the bucket lids, as long as the brew is warm 18C and well covered it should be good.

There was foam on the top yesterday now there is no foam at all but bubbles are still rising throughout the brew,getting the feeling that something isnt right with it

gaztop1979 said:
There was foam on the top yesterday now there is no foam at all but bubbles are still rising throughout the brew,getting the feeling that something isnt right with it
Sounds fine to me.

Latest posts

Back