First lager - no gas seems to be being made?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On day 4-5, the water in the airlock was clear. On day 6, it's darkish green. Ideas? :/

If it needs changing, how can we remove it without it falling into the lager?

EDIT: Turns out my dad added food coloring to it. Not sure if it was to prank me (it worked) or as something 'scientific' - I'll find out when it gets back from work :P

w2lusi.jpg

This looks very odd - only ever remember demijohn over-flowing into airlock. Strange colour??
I guess you could very carefully open the lid at one spot to equalise(?) the air pressure and then remove the air-lock.
I recommend you dispense with the airlock, plug the hole permenently and just let the CO2 escape under the lid. I only use a hydrometer to determine whether the beer is ready for bottling.

klaus said:
This looks very odd - only ever remember demijohn over-flowing into airlock. Strange colour??
I guess you could very carefully open the lid at one spot to equalise(?) the air pressure and then remove the air-lock.
I recommend you dispense with the airlock, plug the hole permenently and just let the CO2 escape under the lid. I only use a hydrometer to determine whether the beer is ready for bottling.
We definitely will do next time. Now it's all about trying to avoid any of the mutant liquid escaping into the lager!

I never bother with an airlock when brewing beer i just leave a small section of the lid unclipped to let out pressure. you defo have signs of fermentation in your pic

Turns out my dad added food coloring to it. Not sure if it was to prank me (it worked) or as something 'scientific' - I'll find out when it gets back from work :P

Latest posts

Back