First own recipe AG Bitter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reflecting on the comments I wonder if the origin of the problem was down to the heating element in the Electrim mash bin, which looks like a simple kettle type element. The strike temp was about 75, however I left the mash bin on the lowest setting, but I guess the element would have still been creating substantial energy, and possibly have some of the grist sitting on it!. For the second batch I made yesterday, I turned the electric off once strike temp was right, mashed and covered for 1 hour, temp stayed between 66 -62c throughout the mash. The first noticeable difference is that the wort smells much more intense, and a whole lot sweeter. I left it to cool overnight, pitched the yeast at 22-23 c this morning and fermentation is underway. I think this time I'll not bother moving to 2nd FV until fermentation and dry hopping have been done. Summary, feeling a little more confident. First batch has stopped again, so I think it might now be added to my compost heat, it needs a little drink anyway :gulp:.

Nooooooooooo........!

The last thing I'd do is ditch it on the compost. The alcohol may just upset the chemistry of the compost for a start. And you said it was tasting ok, so it would be a waste.

Time is a homebrewers friend, if you can leave it in secondary it may just get there. If you need the Fv freeing up, what are your packaging options? I'd beg, steal or borrow a pressure barrel or as many fizzy drink bottles as possible. Any pressurisable vessel that can be vented if needs be. Prime it for carbonation, on the low side and give it a couple of weeks.

What gravity is it now?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I'm with Sadfield here, don't ditch a drinkable brew until you know it's a lost cause. One of the guys here has a 2 year old barleywine with too much chocolate malt making it almost undrinkable that he hasn't binned as it's good for blending.

What's you opinions on funky beers? A high fg brown ale might be a good base for adding brett. Chances are the IBUs are too high to sour it but brett alone is quite nice and will love chomping through the dextrins. But that's probably throwing good money after bad. :-)

Glad to hear batch 2 is underway.

Latest posts

Back