First Saison

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aw72

Reaction score
My first attempt at a 12 litre batch of Saison. BIAB stove top method.

Crisp German pilsen 1.8kg
Rye malt 330g
Wheat malt 200g
Vienna 200g
Flaked oats 100g
Special b 20g

Whitelabs Saison WLP568 yeast.

In fermenter at 20 degrees and slowly raised after 3 days to 22 degrees.

Starting gravity was 1053 and I have just tested today after first week and it is down to 1006!

Seems very quick? It smells lovely. I am just wondering when it will be ok to bottle it. Appreciate any advice.

I’ve never used WLP568, but the Belle Saison yeast will take it down to 1.000 or even lower so don’t bottle yet.

Also, get the temperature higher to get the yeast flavours out - saison yeasts like it hot.

Thanks for the tips! I will continue raising the temperature and leave bottling. I was just very surprised the gravity had dropped so low so quickly.

Grain bill looks good. Only odd one that jumps out is the oats. Oats seem to give beer a bit more body, yet in a Saison you generally want a fermentable wort to end with a dry and drinkable beer.

Having said that, I've used Carapils in a Saison to balance out the thinness that white sugar gives, so you can end up with a really low FG and still retain some body. The oats might achieve that for you.

It's not unusual for the yeast to be done in a week.

Grain bill looks good. Only odd one that jumps out is the oats. Oats seem to give beer a bit more body, yet in a Saison you generally want a fermentable wort to end with a dry and drinkable beer.

Having said that, I've used Carapils in a Saison to balance out the thinness that white sugar gives, so you can end up with a really low FG and still retain some body. The oats might achieve that for you.

It's not unusual for the yeast to be done in a week.
Good point, didn't notice the oats.

What hops did you use?

Last edited:
I copied Greg Hughes recipe and a mix of other recipes and one must have included oats. I will try a batch without oats next time.
I used Magnum and Styrian Goldings hops. I added 10g Styrian Goldings as a dry hop today.

I'd leave it for at least 2 weeks, even 3 in the fermenter even if it looks done. That yeast has the diastaticus gene and should finish very dry but can take a while to get there. You don't want bottle bombs.

I copied Greg Hughes recipe and a mix of other recipes and one must have included oats. I will try a batch without oats next time.
I used Magnum and Styrian Goldings hops. I added 10g Styrian Goldings as a dry hop today.
I can't get enough of Styrian Goldings, it's a good choice for Saison. Don't worry about the oats you didn't use much, it'll be fine

Good advice about the diastaticus gene, thanks. I had not read anything about it. I will leave for 2 weeks at least until it is definitely finished. Learning all the time.

Good advice about the diastaticus gene, thanks. I had not read anything about it. I will leave for 2 weeks at least until it is definitely finished. Learning all the time.
Make sure you wash your bottles thoroughly before reuse. When I know I’ve used a diastaticus yeast I tend to bleach soak the bottle after drinking then oxi soak the bottle before bottling. Probably over kill but you don’t want future bottle bombs! I also find it’s a good way of making sure all my bottles are clean after a few batches of my normal rinse hot, starsan, store, starsan, bottle routine.

You can check the yeast pack and it will say if it is diastaticus positive or negative. At HB level you should be fine, just make sure you clean and sterilise everything post ferment. Your biggest risk of bottle bombs will be over priming (it’s a hungry yeast) or actually not having active yeast to prime your bottles as that strain does have a tendnacy to run out of steam.
I’m sure you’ll live your first saison, they are such an interesting and expressive style. I would personally recommend a simpler grist (drop the special b and other roasted malts) and experiment with different yeasts to really get to know them.

You can check the yeast pack and it will say if it is diastaticus positive or negative. At HB level you should be fine, just make sure you clean and sterilise everything post ferment. Your biggest risk of bottle bombs will be over priming (it’s a hungry yeast) or actually not having active yeast to prime your bottles as that strain does have a tendnacy to run out of steam.
I’m sure you’ll live your first saison, they are such an interesting and expressive style. I would personally recommend a simpler grist (drop the special b and other roasted malts) and experiment with different yeasts to really get to know them.

Thanks.
I checked my yeast and yes it does say
  • STA1 QC Result: Positive
So it is a diastaticus yeast. I'll be extra careful with the priming and be sure it fully ferments. This is only my second all grain BIAB attempt. I started with beer kits last September. Learned so much.

Hi
I would be interested to know how this turned out as I am currently brewing my first ever Saison, albeit from a kit.
Been doing HB for about a year and learning all the time. Great to learn about the different styles of malts, hops and yeast.
Did you raise the temp at all during fermentation?
Where you happy with the end product?

Hi
I would be interested to know how this turned out as I am currently brewing my first ever Saison, albeit from a kit.
Been doing HB for about a year and learning all the time. Great to learn about the different styles of malts, hops and yeast.
Did you raise the temp at all during fermentation?
Where you happy with the end product?

Hi,
I have also just started brewing beer this last year, and still learning lots. I have tried this Saison now and yes I enjoyed it. I did raise the temperature slowly to around 23 degrees for the last week. It was my first Saison so I've nothing to compare it with but it had a nice "spicy" taste. It does have a chill haze if I chill the bottles too long in the fridge. I liked it so much I have just started a new batch using frozen yeast from this first attempt. I have used the same recipe but a lower starting gravity because this first Saison is around 7% ! I'm aiming for 5% this time.
Good luck with yours!

Brilliant, sounds good. How do you re-use the yeast from your first saison?
Do you just scrape some of the trub from the bottom of the FV and stick it in the fridge?

Latest posts

Back