First time with US-05

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muddydisco

Landlord.
Reaction score
couple of quick questions :thumb:

What kind of time scale is this yeast likely to ferment out a 1.048 pale.
Also whats it like for clearing? will it need finnings?

Thanks Gents

Only used it once, but was pretty impressed.

Went to bottle at about 1007 and it cleared perfectly (I never use finings). Over four months later my American Pales Ale (recipe on the forum) still tastes great.

It doesn't settle quite as solidly as S04, but it's not far off.

Basically it does what Fermentis say it does.

To answer your first question.

OG1044
Brew day 19th Feb
Secondary Fermenter 26th Feb
Bottle 3rd March

Hi Nick
I've used it loads of times, does a cracking pale ale....

Downside is that it ferments with a thick head above that takes it's time to drop....(It's nothing like S-04) after getting advice on here I now move to a cool place around 8c after 10 - 14 days and it falls very quick to leave a polished beer...

When I keg I also use some finings. ;)

Kev :oops:

I would say awesome in the bottle, but awful in the keg. Especially tall kegs such as cornies. I had yeast in suspension in one of mine that hung around for a couple of months.... may have just been a strange batch, but has put me of it. I would say definitely use finings.

As they say it will eat through your kitchen counter given the chance. 29-04-11 SG 1043 04-05-11 SG 1009 fermenteing at 18C, bottled 11-05-11, no problem with clarity, not as flocculent as some. The biz for blondes and pale ales :thumb: You should also try the Whitelabs 051 California V, highly recommended.

Fine in the winter for me to pop the brew in the shed to cool and drop the crust, but had to use a wet towel and fan with the last one earlier in the month. Still dropped clear though.

I fermented a 1.038 beer with it . . . Pitched 3 Packets into 85Litres of wort . . . 36 hours later was at 1.010 . . . finished at 1.007 :thumb: Really caught me out no thick head as others have reported, I thought it was a bad batch and was taking time to get going :oops:. Dropped clear with Crash cooling and 10ml/gallon isinglass

Well mine wasn't as fast as some on here, but it did go down to where it should of. Cleared well and left nice compacted yeast at bottom of the bottle that didn't disturb easily.
BUT.........

It tastes bloody amazing
, Now I know what all the fuss is about with Us-05. Definatly will be using again really brings out the hops :cool: :D :thumb:

Excellent stuff! I've become quite a fan of US-05 too, and it has replaced nottingham as my standard dried yeast for pale ales, as it is very clean tasting and seems to let hop flavour out. By way of experiment, I also tried it in a stout and that was actually quite nice; the strong roasted flavours seemed more evident (almost fresh) without competition from the yeast, though it didn't have quite the character or body I traditionally associate with a stout so not to everyone's taste perhaps.

It also changes character if you harvest and re-pitch too - at least it does for me; the slurry goes like the clappers and often seems to attenuate more than the fresh rehydrated stuff. I looked back at the records of the last four brews that I used it in; it attenuated:
from 1.044 to 1.013,
from 1.057 to 1.013,
from 1.056 to 1.010,
from 1.058 to 1.007.
- that was starting from fresh rehydrated packets and harvesting/repitching for three generations; it seems to get more enthusiastic as time goes on.

But as others have said, it can take a while to settle; I tend to chill before kegging (and it often sits in the FV for a while too, during dry hopping for my IPAs) and that tends to sort it to the point where its acceptable after conditioning.

Also, the clean taste that is useful in a hoppy beer can also be a lack of character in beers that rely more on yeast flavours or more residual sugars. That last fairly hefty attenuation was in a beer which was 'supposed' to rely on the malty flavours, but having attenuated many of the residuals away it just seems slightly bland now - more my fault in selection then the yeasts though; I'm hoping it'll develop in the keg...

Cheers
kev

I love US05. Mine tends to attenuate down to 1007 irrespective of OG within four of five days. I always leave in the FV for two weeks though, and when bottling my last pale it was pretty clear already. Checked it last night - three days after bottling - and it's acceptably clear now, so should be perfect in a few weeks (if it lasts that long :D )

Such a clean flavour. Really lets the hops out... US05 and Amarillo hops are my favourite combination right now.

I've been using it as my main yeast now for about 6 months, I tend to use gelatine to help clearing in the warmer weather, but sat in the cold does work well ( My Fermentation cupboard only has heat ).

Its a great yeast for pales certainly and I have tried a couple of darker beers with it by putting in extra Munich or similar to try and maintain more flavour - still not sure about that, although the next one will be tried fermenting for the first 24-36 hours a bit warmer, hoping this will add some flavour that I would not want in my pales, but could make it work for a darker beer. At the end of the day though I expect I'll use different yeasts for darker beers, it's just I have a 500g box so experimenting with it a bit. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back