first WOW and first Turbo Cider having problems

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upthetump

Reaction score
my Wow started on 23rd feb didn't whoosh nor it isnt like a lava lamp, it is fermenting but slowly. T/C still fermenting in DJ's very slowyl but 20 litres i have in fermenting bucket looks dead(there was loads of froth when i opened the lid to check but none the day after. have i ruined the(yet another) batch?

I started mine on 19th mine is burping every 8 sec about and it is around 22c temp

are yours warm enough? how much yeast did you use per gallon?

I'm sure moley will help soon he helps a lot :)

I put some turbo on same day and that one is burping 1 every min .............. its fermenting slow but I guess I just have 2 wait longer for it to finish :)

hi thanks for reply, my T/C in DJ's is bubbling constantly so thats ok, and after checking now the WOW is bubbling ok too (it wasnt last night). but my20 liter bucket of T/C is very quiet, i used 20l Lidl apple juice 5g of ale yeast and 1tsp of Youngs dried active yeast. me and my mates have split the cider 3 ways, i dont want to let them down :roll:

upthetump said:
hi thanks for reply, my T/C in DJ's is bubbling constantly so thats ok, and after checking now the WOW is bubbling ok too (it wasnt last night). but my20 liter bucket of T/C is very quiet, i used 20l Lidl apple juice 5g of ale yeast and 1tsp of Youngs dried active yeast. me and my mates have split the cider 3 ways, i dont want to let them down :roll:

I used the same lidl juice did a 5 gallon amount but I added Ribena to it mine is very slow

I thought it was maybe the ribena slowing mine down ( I did boil it first) but if yours is slow also I blame the apple juice :lol: ) I used wine yeast to mine but mine is a high % so I always use wine/champagne yeast

hummmmm I wonder why both our tc are slow lol my other tc was burping like the wow and is now looking great hummmmm I wonder where all the tc helpers are :(

I think our tc's will be fine I just think they are being a little slow I'm sure they will turn out great :cheers: I have a pic of mine somewhere hold on :)

DSCN7352.jpg

it was taken at weekend I have filled them up a bit more now :) :thumb:

Much as bubbles are a nice visual indication of fermentation you can't really rely on them, especially in a bucket... how do you know it's airtight?
If you don't already have one might I suggest you treat yourself to a hydrometer (or two, as they have a habit of diving onto hard floors) and take all the guesswork out of it.
Oh and as soon as a demijohn or bucket is free get another lot on, once you have a nice line going then you'll be struggling to keep up with it (mind you I'm afraid I've not yet managed to brew it faster than I can drink it)

this is my worry, i opened the lid of the bucket and it was full of foam, next day was nothing, its an old bucket so i don't know if it is airtight, but, i let the air in anyway, did i kill it? :roll:

fermentall said:
Hi minx,from the photo it looks like the three ribena dj's have started to clear.Are you sure they haven't finished?

how can they its only been a week and every time I put a brew on they seem to take ages lol

I put a turbo on at beginning of jan and they still haven't finished so I can't see this 1 finishing in a week :eek: I will test them at weekend see what they read :/ but I think something dodgy is going on :lol:

upthetump said:
this is my worry, i opened the lid of the bucket and it was full of foam, next day was nothing, its an old bucket so i don't know if it is airtight, but, i let the air in anyway, did i kill it? :roll:

ohhhhh mine do that every time I brew something thats why i leave it in bucket then when it calms down i put it in dj I think it's just the yeast going mental as you had not long added it :) I don't think it will die just from you opening it ............. I opened my 1st cider and red turbo and they seem fine (I was nosey and wanted to watch it lol)

Hi Minx,just thought i'd ask wether they had finished because my tc are normally fermented out around a week & definately by 2 weeks are clearing well & ready to be bottled :!: :cheers:

fermentall said:
Hi Minx,just thought i'd ask wether they had finished because my tc are normally fermented out around a week & definately by 2 weeks are clearing well & ready to be bottled :!: :cheers:

yeh I see a lot say it's really quick...............but for some reason mine are lazy :lol:

I will see what they read tomorrow as I will test my red stuff (from beginin of jan) if it has finished so fast I will be amazed hehe mind you even if it has dropped a lot it means its going fast?

Hello sorry to interrupt I have a quick question. My tc looks as yellow as yours? is that normal ? when bottling am I supposed to wait until it clears or is it ready to bottle after 7 days despite the orange juice colour? lol

HI Lewis the tc will start clearing from the top & you will see the difference in colour from what is below,. when clear about 1/2 way down i normally syphon into bottles primed with 1 tsp of normal sugar.Put bottles in warm area for a week then somewhere cool for a week then leave as long as you can :D before consuming. :cheers:

fermentall said:
HI Lewis the tc will start clearing from the top & you will see the difference in colour from what is below,. when clear about 1/2 way down i normally syphon into bottles primed with 1 tsp of normal sugar.Put bottles in warm area for a week then somewhere cool for a week then leave as long as you can :D before consuming. :cheers:

Cheers i think mines starting to clear now, and ok ok i shall do :) not sure if i can last two weeks :rofl: :lol:

LewisA said:
fermentall said:

^^^^ oh I wait till mine are fully clear and reads finished fermenting...............do you bottle it before it has finished of is it just slow on clearing and has finished fermenting? mine tend to clear before they finish fermenting :/
Cheers i think mines starting to clear now, and ok ok i shall do :) not sure if i can last two weeks :rofl: :lol:[/quote]

try waiting months like I have 2 :lol: unless my blackcider reads ready today :) :cheers:

well blow me over I tested the black cider and it reads 1000 (its only had 3week tops) wow thats fast

but the ones I started in jan are reading 1000 plus 2 stripes above it I am not sure if its 1008 :oops: so I guess thats is not ready

I am goin 2 leave them and test again next week

as for the wow wine well 2 are very cloudy and one is clear :lol: I don't know how or why lol

LewisA said:
try waiting months like I have 2 unless my blackcider reads ready today

That takes some will power :lol:

ya not kidding it does haha I sit infront of it everyday like :pray: :lol:

Cussword said:
I really need to know, I'm just about to start my first TC, does it ferment at the same temp as wine??

I don't know but I guess yes lol around 20c is good for cider and I have my wine next to it si its the same temp for both :)

Cussword said:
I really need to know, I'm just about to start my first TC, does it ferment at the same temp as wine??
I always ferment my ciders around 18C . . . which is what I ferment my white wines at

Latest posts

Back