first WOW and first Turbo Cider having problems

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aleman said:
Cussword said:
I really need to know, I'm just about to start my first TC, does it ferment at the same temp as wine??
I always ferment my ciders around 18C . . . which is what I ferment my white wines at

lol that will be why mine has fermented really quick lol because its a 20c ooppppps should I drop mine then?

I have been known to let it ferment at ambient temperatures from the end of October to around March . . . Yes a 5 month fermentation!!

Hello I just have a few quick Questions sorry

My turbo cider has been going to about 8 days now and it still looks a bit like orange juice is it read to be bottled? (I’ve attached a picture below)

5503663606_cda2dedfe7.jpg

Also once bottled for the first (warm) week can the cider be in the same place that it fermented in or does it need to be warmer ?and for the cold week can the cider be left outside? (As it’s still pretty cold) so long as its not below 0?

Many thanks guys :D

No it is not ready yet.When it has finished fermenting it will start to clear from the top down & you will see a definate difference between what has cleared & what hasn't.When cleared about 1/2 way down dj clean/prime bottles with 1tsp sugar & bottle,leave somewhere warm (same as where fermenter was is fine)for a week then somewhere cooler,outside would be fine but keep frost away from them( put in a box etc). :cheers:
make sure it has finished ferment by getting constant hydro readings normally under 1000.

fermentall said:
No it is not ready yet.When it has finished fermenting it will start to clear from the top down & you will see a definate difference between what has cleared & what hasn't.When cleared about 1/2 way down dj clean/prime bottles with 1tsp sugar & bottle,leave somewhere warm (same as where fermenter was is fine)for a week then somewhere cooler,outside would be fine but keep frost away from them( put in a box etc). :cheers:
make sure it has finished ferment by getting constant hydro readings normally under 1000.

Thanks for your reply :)

Ok so when its half clear should i try to bottle and get as little sediment in the bottle as possible? or should i stir and go for it and get no sediment in? or should I wait for it all to settle?

Sorry for the barrage of questions i'm just not sure :lol:

Many thanks once again :D

When it is 1/2 clear put syphon tube in dj & syphon into bottles avoiding sediment at base of dj, don't stir it.Because it hasn't fully cleared you will transfer yeast to the bottles which in turn eat the sugar and carbonate your tc.
Don't worry about asking anything we all do it & even the experienced brewers/vinters still ask about various bits &bobs. :cheers:

fermentall said:
When it is 1/2 clear put syphon tube in dj & syphon into bottles avoiding sediment at base of dj, don't stir it.Because it hasn't fully cleared you will transfer yeast to the bottles which in turn eat the sugar and carbonate your tc.
Don't worry about asking anything we all do it & even the experienced brewers/vinters still ask about various bits &bobs. :cheers:

Ok Ok so is it still alright to siphon the unlcear half into the bottles?

Thanks Once again I assure you this is my final question :) thanks :)

Yes it's ok to transfer the uncleared liquid into bottles along with the cleared,they will mix during syphoning and provide the yeast for carbonation.You should end up with very little liquid left in the dj & lots of sediment/gunk on the bottom. :cheers:

fermentall said:
Yes it's ok to transfer the uncleared liquid into bottles along with the cleared,they will mix during syphoning and provide the yeast for carbonation.You should end up with very little liquid left in the dj & lots of sediment/gunk on the bottom. :cheers:

Thanks fermentall :) :cheers: :D

Back