Flaked Oats

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badseed1974

Reaction score
Evening folks :)

Having a go at Mikkellers Beer Geek Breakfast next and I'm putting my order together from geterbrewed (finally I'll get those hops I won :D)

Anyway, the recipe calls for flaked oats and all GEB seem to have is malted oats.

Same thing? It's a fairly large percentage of the grain bill so I want t make sure I'm getting the right thing.

Cheers!

As far as I know you can get Flaked oats in a supermarket, this is what porridge is however many supermarkets also have own make bags of flaked oats for baking, same thing. Flaked or rolled oats OK but flaked tend to be smaller bits and easier to extract(supposedly).Flaked have no enzymes but sounds as though malted oats might have, most people just use the flaked in the mash.

If you do go for Quaker oats make sure it is not the flavoured variety such as honey etc.

When you say large percentage what amount is that? Mostly in ales and stouts you would go for 5% to add smooth mouth feel and texture. if you are adding a significant amount it could get thick and porridgy

I used 270g of Mornflake oats in my Cereal Beer and that seemed to do the trick (impatiently waiting to commence sampling duties...)

Flaked oats is basically the cheapest porridge in the shop.! The better quality porridge tends to be coarsely rolled oats.

I suspected the cheapo stuff from the supermarket would do, good to have it confirmed :)

Bit concerned how my mash is gonna turn out though as it's 1.65kg of a 6.7kg grain bill :-?

Only one way to find out I guess :D

I suspected the cheapo stuff from the supermarket would do, good to have it confirmed :)

Bit concerned how my mash is gonna turn out though as it's 1.65kg of a 6.7kg grain bill :-?

Only one way to find out I guess :D

In my experience Flaked Oats (Porridge Oats) add very little fermentables, I suspect you will fall short of the estimate ABV and you FG will be higher than expected.

In my experience Flaked Oats (Porridge Oats) add very little fermentables, I suspect you will fall short of the estimate ABV and you FG will be higher than expected.

I ran the recipe through Brewmate and it came out at 7% ABV and I usually hit or exceed Brewmates predictions so I'm quietly hopeful :)

To be honest 7% is quite a beast so falling short 0.5% might not be bad thing lol.

My 2nd last brew was a smoked porter, was my first time using my mash tun and I badly undershot on the amount of sparge water used. Result was just shy of 10% :O

Was nice though, and it got me into the habit of just one beer a night :D

After the shock of the FG reading being 1.090 I decided to chuck in two packs of Safale 05.

Got it down to 1.014 I think?

Lovely in small doses :)

After the shock of the FG reading being 1.090 I decided to chuck in two packs of Safale 05.

Got it down to 1.014 I think?

Lovely in small doses :)

Most of my beer end up in Cornies in my brew fridge, so to be honest I can't justify high ABV brews although I do plan one (malt allowing at the end of the 25kg bag) was thinking one of those pot luck types, everything thats left in the boiler to 10 litres.

Most of my beer end up in Cornies in my brew fridge, so to be honest I can't justify high ABV brews although I do plan one (malt allowing at the end of the 25kg bag) was thinking one of those pot luck types, everything thats left in the boiler to 10 litres.

Remember to write it down then, just in case it's amazing :D

I always take notes, had one or two truly fantastic brews, but as I am forever changing things kits to AG etc am yet to find one way and doubt I ever will just love the experimenting.

I'm terrible for not taking notes, I keep a basic record of the recipe but then I end up chucking a bit extra here and there in. Keeps it interesting I suppose :D

Back