Using lots of Oats and Wheat?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssashton

Regular.
Reaction score
I would like to brew tomorrow but I have only got 1.6Kg of pilsner base malt :(

I do have about 1Kg each of:

Carapils
Caramalt
Crystal Light
Flaked Malted Oats
Malted Wheat

WWYD (what would you do) to make up about a 3Kg grain bill?

I have lots of hops: Cashmere, Cascade, Nelson, Amarillo, Simcoe and Challenger.

Yeast: Only Gervin.

Wish there was a good brew shop I could pop out to in person and get stuff on short notice! I'm in Gillingham, Kent.

A wheat beer or if you do not want to use a lot of wheat brew a standard beer with the pilsner but shorten the brew volume
Ps if you use a lot of wheat you may get a slow/stuck mash
hops wise you could use challenger for a ale or any of or a mix of for a American pale/Ipa

Using some of those flaked oats will help reduce the risk of slow or stuck mash/sparge.

Use all the Pilsner malt, 1kg of the wheat, 250g Carapils, 250g Caramalt, 250g flaked Oats. Something like that. The wheat is then also a little under 1/3 of the total grain bill, so the risk of stuck mash or sparge is quite reduced.

The biggest downside to what you have at hand is the yeast. Without a specific wheat beer yeast, you'll miss out on all the lovely banana and clove flavours.

Thanks I'll probably try that! I was wary of using all the wheat but adding a bit of all the others will probably help tame it.

I'll soon be kegging a lager made with MJ Bohemian Lager yeast. I could possibly use the trub from that beer to inoculate this one if it's a better choice? It's highly sulphury.

Is it the Gervin GV12 you have? Probably just go with that. You won't end up with a typical Bavarian wheat beer, but lots of American wheat beers don't have that traditional ester profile anyway. You'll just end up with a cloudy wheat based pale ale. Maybe add in some more aroma hops too, for added character which will be missing from lack of esters.

I've personally not tried brewing a wheat beer with anything other than specific phenolic positive yeast, so I'm guessing a bit.

Is it the Gervin GV12 you have? Probably just go with that. You won't end up with a typical Bavarian wheat beer, but lots of American wheat beers don't have that traditional ester profile anyway. You'll just end up with a cloudy wheat based pale ale. Maybe add in some more aroma hops too, for added character which will be missing from lack of esters.

I've personally not tried brewing a wheat beer with anything other than specific phenolic positive yeast, so I'm guessing a bit.
I would go with that Phil and add some American hops to give a little extra taste

Just my 2p, I used us-05 in a first attempt at a wheat beer and was very disappointed, it had the feel of a wheat beer but none of those flavours that I was expecting. I've not had another go with a more suitable yeast yet.. mostly because of how bad the previous one turned out, but I will at some point

Back