Flies in the boiler!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shearclass

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi All

Not been on here for a while. Life has been crazy busy.

Recently split with the girlfriend, so now have more tiem to make beer.

17 months later than i initially planned, I tried my first extract brew using my granda's old burco (aluminium....) boiler.

FIRST QUESTION - How do you stop flies etc going in the boiler?? I had a couple in there, 1 made it in durign the boil, other while cooling. You don't need me to tell you that this is far from ideal, so how do you guys stop this happening?

I was boiling otuside, but i am sure that must be quite common?

Cheers!

Probably less of an issue during the boil but whilst cooling... lid mostly on or voil as above might work well? I brew in the kitchen so not had the problem myself.

I think I am going to have similar problems when I start AG brewing again in my summer holiday home. I cant boil inside so the problems of flies, and bird poo have to be addressed. Cant leave the lid on or it will boil over, put it under a table and condensation drips, use a cloth and it gets soggy and drops in. I think birds have a sense of humour. I was playing chess in a pub garden with my mate when a flock of seagulls flew over and pooped on his head and in his beer at the same time.!!

They soon get steralised during the boil....

Keep your brewed covered at all times now the warmer weather has arrived. If you have an indoor brewery ( shed or garage ) get some fly papers or yellow bug strips hung up.

I find bottling sessions to be the worst....your hands a full and busy and there's always a fly or two taking an interest in your beer.

Flies and other bugs in the boil is an extra source of nitrogen. Yeast will be happy to eat them. ;)

I'm sorry but whenever I see this thread title I think it's going to be a hillbilly song, like 'chickens in the henhouse'

Now I've written it down it might leave my brain alone

yep been thinking that since the thread started. Brain starts singing...flies in the boiler house two by two, flies in the boiler house two by two

oldbloke said:
I'm sorry but whenever I see this thread title I think it's going to be a hillbilly song, like 'chickens in the henhouse'Now I've written it down it might leave my brain alone

:lol:

When cooling, i thought the lid needed to be off to allow DMS, or whatever, to escape?

I wonder if I could cover it with muslin, perhaps.

Cooling always with lid on. What ever dms was there, it already evaporated off. At the moment you turn heating off, the wort becomes nutrient.

I believe John Palmer suggests that DMS will still be being driven off whilst the wort is above 80degC or so. Having said that, highly modified British pale malts have little of the precursor to DMS (Ref: Aleman) so lid mostly on is not a great problem during the boil or afterwards.

When you talk about 'highly modified malts', does this apply to liquid malt extract too? I will just be doing extract brews for the time being.

If its still alive, you will get lots of " mouth feel "......... groan.

I hear the odd cockroach finds its way in to the fv of a popular Belgian lager, if its good enough for the supermarkets.....:lol:

Latest posts

Back