Floating dip tube or standard?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko85

Reaction score
Been pressure fermenting in corny with floating dip tube then closed transfer into purged keg. Is there much advantage in continuing to use floating dip over standard? Considering the beer has now been racked into a clean vessel surely you would only get a small amount of sediment in the full pull? Just wondering if there is any other great advantage to using floating dip in clean serving keg. Any disadvantages to pulling from the top when serving?

Hiya, I tried my most recent brew without the floating dip as I couldn't get it off one of the kegs, and I got so much gunk into my final keg.

Went using the floating dip tube I load about 2 litres where the tube couldn't get the beer out, but it was full of yeast and hops. When I used the solid dip tube I easily lost the same if not more and my final keg had far too much yeast for me to drink in about the first 4 or 5 pints.

So back to a floating dip tube for me (Fwiw I bought a corny lid with in build floating dip tube so now I can just move that between kegs rather than messing with the posts)

Sorry, just re-read your post. Do you mean a floating tube on your final keg? I haven't bothered so far and aside from the time above, I've been fine with my normal tube, and would avoid a floater as they never seem to reach the very bottom for me and leave me some beer behind.

Sorry, just re-read your post. Do you mean a floating tube on your final keg? I haven't bothered so far and aside from the time above, I've been fine with my normal tube, and would avoid a floater as they never seem to reach the very bottom for me and leave me some beer behind.
Hello crowcrow,
Yes apologies I was referring to using a float in my final keg to avoid sucking up any settled nasties however I think your absolutely right I'll lose more nectar with a floater! I'll switch back to fixed dip tube in my final keg for the next brew. Thank you.

Back