Flow meters

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shrek

Reaction score
Has anyone tried or used these before? Thinking it would be a quick and easy way to measure out the liqour before the start of a brew.

Clicky

These look quite good, but they are only rated to 40C. I am wondering if there would be an issue, with regard to 'food safe' in having water closer to 70C passing through it.

If you have a look on their ebay shop they have a 'Hot' flow meter that can take a higher temperature. Tempted to buy one or two of these and plumb them in as I don't like sight glasses as being a clumsy ogre I would break it.

Yeah, I was considering a combo sight glass and thermometer kit for my HLT, but I think I will just go for a built-in thermometer and use a hot water flow meter instead. It will be a lot more accurate! And let's face it, they are very cool!! Man toys! Hooray!

The only niggle I can see with these is that I don't think that there is a reset button for the counter. It does say that if you plumb it in reverse the counter goes backwards. Not sure if I will do that or just keep a note of the value. Could always use the output from my cooler to rewind the counter :hmm:

Most of these meters don't reset, you just need a notepad and pencil to work out the new figure you are aiming for each time.

We have quite a few clients that use them to measure amounts of liquid fat loaded to tankers where the premises do not have a weighbridge......probably better quality ones than the ones linked.
I've found them pretty unreliable to be honest and are at best a decent approximation.

I think that I am going to buy one when get home and I will give it a review and post the findings on here. It has to be more accurate than the stickers on the side of the fermenting bins that I am using now

I would have thought that if they measure down to 0.1L, then they should be accurate to a measurement at least half that per Litre. A review and full test would be really handy. I must admit, if I am going to shell out for it then I would expect it to be pretty damn accurate really. Fingers crossed, eh!

Well I am in Lagos Nigeria for another 4 weeks so don't hold your breath. :(

Shrek said:
Well I am in Lagos Nigeria for another 4 weeks so don't hold your breath. :(

What's the beer like out there? I have heard things about locals brewing with kerosene and all sorts!

They have a few lagers that are ok and there is castle milk stout which is nice for a change but I am an ale man. I will be much happier when I get home and stuck into a real pint of beer rather than fizzy pish

These aren't partiularly accurate - only to 1/10th gallon, which is just under half-a-litre. In the scheme of things, that's not great for a brew. The others are accurate to 100ml.

Half a litre isnt a huge amount when you are brewing 23- 40 litres or so i dont think it would make a huge different on sparging volume or end volumes

First link shown is exactly what i have here in Turkey as my water meter, the 2nd looks american - so the measurement will be out if in gallons as its different than a uk gallon etc.
I use a plastic stick marked off in 5 ltr chunks on my brews which is accurate enough for me. :cheers:

periolus said:
Could that be down to the liquid fat, as they are designed for a much less viscous liquid?

The ones that I have encountered are designed for fat/oil......still seem unreliable even when temperature corrected.
I would also imagine that the ones designed for water would be accurate at a specific temperature and the accuracy will decrease if you deviate from the temperature specified.

I could see anyone who is using one having to work out correction factors for liquids at different temps.

Back