Flu

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been ok touch wood but wife and both kids bad it. Daughter particularly bad and the doc thought she had strep a. Took her to the gp 3 times before they would acknowledge she was ill and gave us antibiotics

I have been ok touch wood but wife and both kids bad it. Daughter particularly bad and the doc thought she had strep a. Took her to the gp 3 times before they would acknowledge she was ill and gave us antibiotics
Oh dear. Strep a is a big concern at the min hope all ok.

Yep. Had it a week ago. Last in family to get it.

You know it's flu when what you thought was a cold starts to effect your temperature control.
Had about 3 days or so of going back to bed after being up for a few hours at a time.
Probably worse part was aching body from coughing.

Definitely alot of it about this year. Had a similar experience couple of weeks ago. Went to bed ~11pm on Friday night, effectively woke up the following Tuesday. High temperature, aching all over, in my case quite sensitive to bright light. Saturday & Sunday were the worst, just getting a cuppa felt like running a marathon, slept late both mornings, slept half the time when I was up, just drifting in and out of sleep. Felt like last year when we all got covid. Back at work on the Wednesday but not fully recovered until last weekend and on Monday / Tuesday started feeling the same again. Quick test showed positive for covid yesterday,

I expected a big upsurge in flu/norovirus etc last year when school re-opened, but never happened. This year, the last 1/2 term has seen relatively high absence in both staff and students, some classes down 20-25% with 10%+ teaching staff on sick at peak times. On reflection, think there a coup[le of factors at work
1. last year I think we were all being a bit more cautious, more people still wearing masks, limiting social mixing. Not saying all this was conscious action, but think the pandemic and 'stay safe' messages were always in the back of the mind
2. presenteeism; we are all encouraged to attend unless your at deaths door, 'do you really need to be off?' There's almost a bravado/one-up-manship of 'well I was coughing so hard my kidneys came up, but I still went to work!' It's all very commendable on one hand, but if you're infectious, working in a poorly ventilated work area with a large number of other people, you are being typhoid Mary.

Realise lots of people will say without presenteeism some people just take the p*ss and ring in sick every Monday/Friday, but a well run organisation should be able to deal with such individuals - monitoring of days sick / number of sick 'events' per time period.

Definitely alot of it about this year. Had a similar experience couple of weeks ago. Went to bed ~11pm on Friday night, effectively woke up the following Tuesday. High temperature, aching all over, in my case quite sensitive to bright light. Saturday & Sunday were the worst, just getting a cuppa felt like running a marathon, slept late both mornings, slept half the time when I was up, just drifting in and out of sleep. Felt like last year when we all got covid. Back at work on the Wednesday but not fully recovered until last weekend and on Monday / Tuesday started feeling the same again. Quick test showed positive for covid yesterday,

I expected a big upsurge in flu/norovirus etc last year when school re-opened, but never happened. This year, the last 1/2 term has seen relatively high absence in both staff and students, some classes down 20-25% with 10%+ teaching staff on sick at peak times. On reflection, think there a coup[le of factors at work
1. last year I think we were all being a bit more cautious, more people still wearing masks, limiting social mixing. Not saying all this was conscious action, but think the pandemic and 'stay safe' messages were always in the back of the mind
2. presenteeism; we are all encouraged to attend unless your at deaths door, 'do you really need to be off?' There's almost a bravado/one-up-manship of 'well I was coughing so hard my kidneys came up, but I still went to work!' It's all very commendable on one hand, but if you're infectious, working in a poorly ventilated work area with a large number of other people, you are being typhoid Mary.

Realise lots of people will say without presenteeism some people just take the p*ss and ring in sick every Monday/Friday, but a well run organisation should be able to deal with such individuals - monitoring of days sick / number of sick 'events' per time period.

Oh no, covid too!!

Totally agree re. presenteeism, people who are properly ill shouldn't be coming in to work. However some companies such as my wife's don't pay sick pay and in this current climate who can afford a couple of days off poorly!

Covid is starting to become a Christmas tradition in our house, all had it last year on Christmas day, starting to think Santa has lost his mojo since I became a senior adult. :laugh8:

Daughter used to work in retail, the policy in her company was you did not get paid for the first couple of days, but after 3 you did get paid. Never understood the logic of this. Think there were some reports a couple of years ago about some companies (possibly in the US) operating a 'duvet day' allowance (5 or 10 a year from memory). You could ring in and just say ' not feeling it today', no other excuses needed. From memory, absenteeism dropped overall. Could be mistaken, might have been one of those BS 'slow news day' articles. Think it comes under the 'stich in time' philosophy, sometimes that one day off the treadmill when your a bit under the weather is enough to top up the batteries to 90% and you feel good to go again.

Over my working life have been employed in private industry, self employed and on the public payroll. Never affected my mindset about taking sick leave, always brought up to work and not take days off, but as I get older I question this more and more. Think my first boss in industry had it right, he knew his staff, knew who was taking the p*ss and who was genuine. If you turned in and were really unfit for work, he'd bollock you and send you home. This was, needless to say, before remote HR departments dealt with all this.

Latest posts

Back