Football

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately, according to Midsomer Murders, quaint villages are the perfect place to get murdered.

As are some small towns, fortunately mass murder is something of a rarity in the U.K although gun and knife crime has been on the increase for a while.

As are some small towns, fortunately mass murder is something of a rarity in the U.K although gun and knife crime has been on the increase for a while.

I was completely joking about the murders. Come on, man, I referenced a TV show as my source. Maybe you did get it and I just wasn't funny.

I live in the city of Detroit. My zip code has 3X's the number of violent crimes when compared with the national average. I had to look that up. I knew it was around that but just to verify. This I am not making a joke about.

Of course, that 3X number could be 9 total and the national average per zip is at 1 violent crime per year--pretty sure it isn't.

Football is massive here but it has as many haters as lovers
Over here is the kneeling during the national anthem. It was a bigger deal last year as the networks didn't know what to do with it. That spawned some serious blow-back/outrage toward the NFL.

This year, nobody's televising that portion. The game magically starts with a kickoff, right after three or four commercials (the length of the anthem).
My wife and I are divided on whether the peaceful protest is suitable during a football game. We are both for what the protest represents.

Difficult to comment from a UK perspective really.
From what I understand of your traditions the flag is all but then so is freedom of speech. I've no idea which does or "should" be respected the most. Personally I'd go for freedom of speech so good on Colin Kaepernick for having the bollocxs to start something then good for him and the whole of the country.
Not my argument but I felt the need to put my twopence in.
I was going to comment on Mr trump too but though it may break forum rules. All I'll say is I don't like him

Cheers from a proud Brit and a supporter of freedom of speech. Tom

Well said.
I think the differences between the US/UK are very minor or zero when it comes to really important topics.
What's not "zero" is which sport is better: UK football or US football (in which we even stole the name)? As you all might say, "I'm just having a go." I don't actually care.

I was completely joking about the murders. Come on, man, I referenced a TV show as my source. Maybe you did get it and I just wasn't funny.

I got it I just thought you might have been interested to learn we had a mass murder up here in our usually quiet and laid back part of the country. wink...

Back