Foraging blackberries, sloes etc in North East

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_rawdin

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right forum page but I am wondering if anyone knows any good places in Northumberland, Newcastle or County Durham to forage sloes, blackberries or any other fruit good for wine making etc. I have loads of elder bushes near where I work but can't find blackthorn anywhere!

Nowhere near you but blackthorn bushes (the source of sloes) were used extensively by farmers in England for cattle enclosures around their fields so my advice is to find a local area where they still use hedges around fields rather than wire fences or stone walls.

I think that the best way to search out foraging sources is on a pushbike. You are going slow enough to check out the hedgerows and fast enough to cover a lot of distance in a day.

After riding around our local area we can now source any amount of apples, crab-apples, sloes, blackberries, rose hips and plums when they are in season; and the joy of it is that they are all free!! :thumb: :thumb:

Back