Forgot to Purge Keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankieboy

Noob
Reaction score
Hello!

I made my 3rd all grain brew a fortnight ago (Son of Punkie from MaltMiller). Feels like I'm starting to get the hang of it - at the very least I don't have to do one thing then keep having to stop to look up what the next thing is supposed to be... again!

Anyway, just transferred finished beer from the fv to a 19l keg, looks like I ended up with maybe 15-16L or so. Hooked up the CO2, laid the keg on its side and started to agitate to give the carbonisation a bit of a head start, then realised I had forgotten to purge he headspace first. Don't really understand the science of how carbonisation works so I am wondering whether I have essentially just pushed 3L of oxygen into this beer alongside some CO2 and am wondering what to expect?

Does this mean I just have to drink it quicker!!? 😊😇

Thanks

As no one else is chipping in I'll try to give my opinion. I'm sure I read on the forum that Oxidation doesn't happen for about 4 weeks, not 100% sure I may even have dreamt it. Are you going to force carb it and then drink it straight away? or are you going to leave it to carb over a couple of weeks? Either way you should be ok IMO.

Not ideal but should be OK for a while, drink this one up sooner rather than later.

I have also done this in the past, so you are not alone,

As no one else is chipping in I'll try to give my opinion. I'm sure I read on the forum that Oxidation doesn't happen for about 4 weeks, not 100% sure I may even have dreamt it. Are you going to force carb it and then drink it straight away? or are you going to leave it to carb over a couple of weeks? Either way you should be ok IMO.

Yes, am force carbonating with a view to leaving it to condition for a week to take the edge off the bitterness and then getting into it. If that gives me 3 weeks to drink it then ok, lockdown challenge accepted!

Yeah - sadly you will have oxisided it but it'll still be ok to drink maybe not at its best. Oxidation happens pretty quickly - taste an open beer the day after a party? Re-carbonate it and it won't be back to normal. I'm way too guilty of oxidising beer when it's still in the fermenter by tinkering and checking the gravity every day.

I'd go ahead and purge the keg even now, though.

I cant purge the headspace of my (sole remaining) PB because I have no provision to do so.
But I keep beers in it for weeks and even months.
And its fine.
Unfortunately @terrym the headspace in his corny is full of oxygen and he's probably just injected 30psi of C02 to force carb and that will disperse the oxygen into the beer.

Hooked up the CO2, laid the keg on its side and started to agitate to give the carbonisation a bit of a head start, then realised I had forgotten to purge he headspace first.

I did the same thing yesterday to a Mosaic Pale Ale. Gassed to 20psi and rolled the keg on its side once or twice before realising! I immediately stood it back up and purged it but who knows what damage I’d already done?

Last edited:
Don't be too scared yet. I remember on the good side there was a thing about how quickly yeast will use the oxygen in headspace if you prime - but you're not meant to shake it in! (yeek) and there was another thing about how quickly metabisulphite has a redox (I learnt that word, I did) reaction to strip out dissolved oxygen - so clearly it can be dissolved but not bound.

I tried the metabisulphite thing and my beer smelled awful and eggy and I could easily taste it even at 10ppm which is what Brulosophy use - they even did a much higher dose and people couldn't tell.

http://brulosophy.com/2020/04/06/im...b-have-on-beer-character-exbeeriment-results/
I wondered if Wilko campden tablets were somehow different but I can't imagine.

Another article was saying to learn the taste of oxidation get two commercial beers from the same pack, uncap one, just blow across the top to disturb the co2, recap and try together in a few days. That was like another - what, really? Moment.

If I find all the bits I'll edit this. Stay strong!

Ok - this is a good sign. It suggests it can go unnoticed and it takes time to develop.

http://brulosophy.com/2016/12/19/po...normal-vs-high-oxidation-exbeeriment-results/

Last edited:
Yes, am force carbonating with a view to leaving it to condition for a week to take the edge off the bitterness and then getting into it
If you are not intending to drink it straight away you are probably better using set and forget method to carbonate the beer, ie just set at 10psi and leave it, no need to roll it around.

I always leave my beers to condition for a couple of weeks, by which time they are properly carbed and ready to drink.

Yes, am force carbonating with a view to leaving it to condition for a week to take the edge off the bitterness and then getting into it. If that gives me 3 weeks to drink it then ok, lockdown challenge accepted!

how did it go? i forgot to purge the keg before filling but did afterwoods- i was thinking of adding a campden tab but havn't yet.

Don't be too scared yet. I remember on the good side there was a thing about how quickly yeast will use the oxygen in headspace if you prime - but you're not meant to shake it in! (yeek) and there was another thing about how quickly metabisulphite has a redox (I learnt that word, I did) reaction to strip out dissolved oxygen - so clearly it can be dissolved but not bound.

I tried the metabisulphite thing and my beer smelled awful and eggy and I could easily taste it even at 10ppm which is what Brulosophy use - they even did a much higher dose and people couldn't tell.

http://brulosophy.com/2020/04/06/im...b-have-on-beer-character-exbeeriment-results/
I wondered if Wilko campden tablets were somehow different but I can't imagine.

Another article was saying to learn the taste of oxidation get two commercial beers from the same pack, uncap one, just blow across the top to disturb the co2, recap and try together in a few days. That was like another - what, really? Moment.

If I find all the bits I'll edit this. Stay strong!

Ok - this is a good sign. It suggests it can go unnoticed and it takes time to develop.

http://brulosophy.com/2016/12/19/po...normal-vs-high-oxidation-exbeeriment-results/

I added a camden tab once on a NEIPA and seemed to do the trick but haven't tried it since.

Given your experience though( and a lot of posters on the brulosophy thread) i am not sure whether to risk it.

i might just leave it this times , as i didn't dry hop this batch as im trying to nail down an imperfection that a number of my brews have had. I'm not sure if it oxygenisation or if its a green taste from the dry hop matter.

i'm gonna try that trick with bought beers to recognise the oxygenised flavour!

Latest posts

Back