Forum polotics.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrowserUk

Reaction score
Did I cause myself to be ostracized because I stood up to the bully?

Nope, you've posted 16 times and only a couple of threads, I've had a look through your posts and they are wine ones.

There are more beer brewers here than wine makers, so beer questions tend to get answered by more people and I suspect that a lot of people don't know much about the terms aerobic and anaerobic so will have gone past your question on that without comment.

Also if people haven't, like me, seen crystals such as those you posted then they won't reply either after all what would be the use of 700 posts saying no idea?

I can't see that you are being ignored and I don't think Aleman intended to bully, he just lacks tact at times (quite a lot of times to be fair :P)

Just carry on as you are.

If you had caused any upset you would have been pm'd by mods or admin your question was an interesting one I comment as I didn't know the answer . As for being ostracised i think you may be thinking the worst i have not come across that before and i have frequented the forum for a long time .

Hoping you'd had a few homebrews when you came to that conclusion... and that all seems normal again today

Not seen any bullying take place on this forum, one of the friendliest I have ever been on in fact :thumb: It's why I stay

Jeltz said:
I don't think Aleman intended to bully, he just lacks tact at times (quite a lot of times to be fair :P)
:thumb: +1 to that

As I said in the thread another part of the forum to avoid, another topic to not get involved with, even if the advice given is wrong /*****

(Yeah that was me being tactless again)

As I keep reminding myself RDWHAHB

BrowserUk said:
Did I cause myself to be ostracized because I stood up to the bully?

No you didn't. And Aleman is not a bully. He does speak plainly, but from experience. Which I agree can be seen at times to lack a degree of tact and diplomacy. But the advice is usually worth taking heed of. As for being ostracised I note that all your posts have had a reasonable response. Maybe not the response you expected, but a response. We are a friendly lot so carry on contributing. :thumb:

I agree with what has been said already. Aleman is probably our most experienced brewer and his knowledge is second to non. If aleman gives me a piece of advice I take it, he is not usually wrong.

I do understand where Aleman is coming from though there is a lot of advice which is dubious at best and often third or forth hand with key elements lost in translation. With any forum, the more people who post on a thread, the more you see an underlying trend to the advice given and you soon get to know whose advice to trust.

I don't think you have been ostracised you appear to have had a good number of responses to you questions, keep them coming.

:thumb: :thumb:

graysalchemy said:
I agree with what has been said already. Aleman is probably our most experienced brewer and his knowledge is second to non. If aleman gives me a piece of advice I take it, he is not usually wrong.

If I ever started brewing, that might make it worth tolerating his "way"; but it would never make it worth defending.

graysalchemy said:
I do understand where Aleman is coming from though there is a lot of advice which is dubious at best and often third or forth hand with key elements lost in translation. With any forum, the more people who post on a thread, the more you see an underlying trend to the advice given and you soon get to know whose advice to trust.

If someone is handing out bad or mangled advice it should be countered.... by shouting (if he must) at the persons so doing; not the newbie asking a question.

That's me done around here. Bye

BrowserUK - I think you are being a bit over-sensitive and I know I can appear blunt/terse which I appreciate can sometimes be interpreted as rude but it is never intentional. I'm just here to share information and experience so I avoid the social aspect.

There are a small number of people here who appear to know each other and slip into using 'first names' occasionally but in general, as has been mentioned, over a number of posts in a thread you will be able to make your own mind up what info to use and what to discard.

That is the nature of the internet not just this forum.
Remember that you are merely asking for an opinion as there are few things that are definitive black or white.
I'd never take any information as gospel no matter who it came from without further confirmation but that's my personality type.

I would say you'll probably not find anywhere else that is so easy going TBH.

BrowserUk said:

Well its a shame to see you go but if this kind of thing is going to be upsetting it might be for the best. This is a place for people to get together and chat about our hobby, not everyone has the same way of communicating and if some of us are going to leave you feeling bullied its not worth putting yourself though that. Having been on plenty of forums over the years this is one of the more friendly ones.

All the best with your wine making. :cheers:

BrowserUk said:
graysalchemy said:

If I ever started brewing, that might make it worth tolerating his "way"; but it would never make it worth defending.

graysalchemy said:

If someone is handing out bad or mangled advice it should be countered.... by shouting (if he must) at the persons so doing; not the newbie asking a question.

flouncing off in a huff..... :roll:

Absolutely ridiculous. I see no personal insults in that thread by Aleman. There is no defending required in my opinion. Some people are just a little over sensitive. Maybe I could be accused of bullying for saying that?

robsan77 said:
Absolutely ridiculous. I see no personal insults in that thread by Aleman. There is no defending required in my opinion.
The funny thing is that I actually feel a lot of remorse for the fact that a new member has left. Still I did apologise for having a rant at other posters in the same post that I actually answered his question first, yeah I should have quoted the other posts I was referring to, or done it in a separate post.

Now where is the sackcloth and fcuking ashes smiley?? :evil:

Latest posts

Back