Four Priests Brewery YouTube channel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Basically a lesson in not allowing bar staff to pour bottle conditioned beers. They're clueless.
To be fair, it's not something they ever have to do normally, it's a bit like expecting them to tapdance.

It's easy to criticise, but how many people outside the homebrew world ever have a bottle-conditioned beer, let alone have the clarity of their pour scrutinised by randoms over the internet?

To be fair, it's not something they ever have to do normally, it's a bit like expecting them to tapdance.

It's easy to criticise, but how many people outside the homebrew world ever have a bottle-conditioned beer, let alone have the clarity of their pour scrutinised by randoms over the internet?
One of the pubs I frequent started their own microbrewery a few years ago. Husband running the brewery, wife running the pub. She was totally incapable of pouring a bottle of their own beer - the only way you could get a clear glassful was to grab it off her before she had a chance to ruin it.
Thankfully the brewery folded after a couple of years.

Did you see this -
I did - and no doubt you had someone explain how to ride a bike, did that mean you never fell off? Sometimes the only way to really learn is by doing something a few times.

And I also saw chopps saying in his video #80 that the gyle that was bottled didn't cold crash properly and so had more yeast than usual, to the extent that he was thinking of drainpouring the lot. And it had just been driven to the pub. So it wasn't the easiest bottle to start with.

I just don't like dunking on people when they've got no comeback, and whose only crime is inexperience.

Last edited:
I did - and no doubt you had someone explain how to ride a bike, did that mean you never fell off? Sometimes the only way to really learn is by doing something a few times.

And I also saw chopps saying in his video #80 that the gyle that was bottled didn't cold crash properly and so had more yeast than usual, to the extent that he was thinking of drainpouring the lot. And it had just been driven to the pub. So it wasn't the easiest bottle to start with.

I just don't like dunking on people when they've got no comeback, and whose only crime is inexperience.

Reading my comment again, agreeing with the clueless comment is a bit unfair, so I take that back.
Absolutely it was down to me.
Way too much sediment and a car ride being the root of the problem.
And with hindsight, probably the bar staff's first ever bottle conditioned pour with the only instruction being 'pour it gently, one single pour and watch for the yeast in the neck'. Hardly a training course,
I still mess it up sometimes, and we've all had the lively ones where it doesn't matter what you do, the sediment gets disturbed as soon as the gas is released. There was some mickey taking about it (hence the 'correct' and smiley face), but all in good spirits. The team at the pub are great. No criticism from me.

I've watched all your videos @chopps. I think they're great. I've really enjoyed seeing the process of setting up and starting the brewery.

I've only been brewing all-grain since the end of last summer, so I'm still new to this whole thing - but it's great seeing how the processes I do in my garage scale up.

Unfortunately, you're a bit too far away (Edinburgh) for me to pop down and try one of your beers in a pub. I was hoping to buy a few bottles, but the postage price is a bit prohibitive right now.

All the best, I look forward to seeing more of your videos and trying your beers one day.

I've watched all your videos @chopps. I think they're great. I've really enjoyed seeing the process of setting up and starting the brewery.

I've only been brewing all-grain since the end of last summer, so I'm still new to this whole thing - but it's great seeing how the processes I do in my garage scale up.

Unfortunately, you're a bit too far away (Edinburgh) for me to pop down and try one of your beers in a pub. I was hoping to buy a few bottles, but the postage price is a bit prohibitive right now.

All the best, I look forward to seeing more of your videos and trying your beers one day.
Hi mate, yeah the postage is shocking - I need something better than FedEx and EVRI for sure.
We're out of bottles right now anyway, got more carbing up but the unit is a bit cold and they're taking forever.
If only I had a brite tank...... Cheers! Thanks for watching I appreciate it

How does your bottling machine know how to stop filling the bottles when they are full?whe level of beer in the tank is the same as the neck of the bottle.
When the beer fills to the same level in the neck as the level in the tank, it stops.
It’s basically a syphon.
the float valve allows you set the tank level and so the bottle level follows that. Hard to describe but simple in practice

When the beer fills to the same level in the neck as the level in the tank, it stops.
It’s basically a syphon.
the float valve allows you set the tank level and so the bottle level follows that. Hard to describe but simple in practice
I think I get it - thanks. 👍

@chopps . Have you considered getting a head mount for your phone? You can get them (go-pro style things) so you can stick the camera on your forehead.

Yes, you look like an utter plonker with it on. But it has the advantage that you can film and use both hands to do stuff like unscrew your electrical box. Just a thought

@chopps . Have you considered getting a head mount for your phone? You can get them (go-pro style things) so you can stick the camera on your forehead.

Yes, you look like an utter plonker with it on. But it has the advantage that you can film and use both hands to do stuff like unscrew your electrical box. Just a thought

I wasn't even intending to make a video until it all went wrong. Only had my phone with me.
If I had have planned the timing of the failure better I would have used one of the many tripods to mount a camera and give you a 4K view of it all. Just need to be more organised.

I thought it was an interesting video. Just looking at your electrics makes me glad I didn't take the plunge and start a microbrewery when my family suggested it...

Latest posts

Back