Free Speech

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish people would stop saying "Go to another Forum!" when they disagree with someone.

I only have one hobby so I mainly use this Forum; and luckily for me there is a Snug just like in the pubs of old.

With regard to people being offensive to each other I suggest that before anyone Posts anything that may be "personally insulting" they should think "If I was in a real Snug, would I say this to the person's face if he was standing in front of me?"

If you would say it to their face then I think you should exercise your Freedom of Speech and Post the personal and insulting comment ... :thumb:

... and also leave your home address at the bottom of the Post. :whistle:

I wish people would stop saying "Go to another Forum!" when they disagree with someone.

I only have one hobby so I mainly use this Forum; and luckily for me there is a Snug just like in the pubs of old.

With regard to people being offensive to each other I suggest that before anyone Posts anything that may be "personally insulting" they should think "If I was in a real Snug, would I say this to the person's face if he was standing in front of me?"

If you would say it to their face then I think you should exercise your Freedom of Speech and Post the personal and insulting comment ... :thumb:

... and also leave your home address at the bottom of the Post. :whistle:

Personal insults are against forum rules so will be removed anyway

Charlie Hebdo- freedom of speech or too far ???
Too far for me,ripping the p*sh from a faith is too much.
Probably controversial but hey ho,freedom and all that ......

All liberals love the idea of freedom of speech. Just don't dare express an opinion which they don't share. They'll say you're vile and disgustingly prejudiced. This is exactly what's happened to Tim Farron (and he's a Liberal with a capital L!). His view that homosexuality is condemned in the New Testament meant he had to go. If you've ever read it, you'll know his opinion is factually correct but that doesn't mean that it is an opinion a liberal can hold. SO yes, freedom of speech will always be subjective.

You do realise that the right to freedom of speech does not mean you are free from criticism? It means the government can not place onerous legal restrictions on what you can and can not say.

It does not mean that you are entitled to spread your views free from any consequences whatsoever, nor that people and organisations are obliged to provide you with a platform from which to do so.

You can be criticised for offensive views. You can be fired for them. People can refuse to host one of your lectures, or refuse to have you on their tv or radio channel. None of that is a violation of your right to freedom of speech.

Laws against free speech include:
Section 5 which is basically saying something that threatens or is abusive to someone who can hear it.
Hate speech laws make it illegal to incite hatred against people based on race, religion or sexual orientation.
Slander/deformation laws exist buy no idea how they work.
Blasphemy against Christianity was illegal though rarely enforced (6 prosecutions since 1883 last one 1977) and the law was only dropped in 2008.
In company law there are obviously loads of stuff you have to declare or not and advertising law, labelling law etc.

Someone at work recently called me an 'opinonated bigot', presumably because he'd come out worse on whatever we were arguing about and couldn't come up with anything better. I was very flattered but kept that to myself.

.......... There should be freedom to cause offence. ............

I agree! :thumb: :thumb:

I can never understand why some people get upset when I point out that all the English ever had to do to conquer Scotland was to buy the cheapest Scot. :whistle:

I hope you're duly offended. :lol: :lol:

PS

You've got your own back already with wives Numbers Two and Three.

Both of them from Scotland; and there will NEVER be a Wife Number Four! :doh:

Someone at work recently called me an 'opinonated bigot', .......... I was very flattered but kept that to myself.

I was once told by a Primary School Teacher that I was so low that I "could crawl under a snake with a top-hat on."

Aged ten the insult was totally lost on me and I spent the next few years wondering why a snake would be wearing a top-hat. :doh: :doh:

I agree! :thumb: :thumb:

I can never understand why some people get upset when I point out that all the English ever had to do to conquer Scotland was to buy the cheapest Scot. :whistle:

I hope you're duly offended. :lol: :lol:

PS

You've got your own back already with wives Numbers Two and Three.

Both of them from Scotland; and there will NEVER be a Wife Number Four! :doh:

I'm not Scottish :D. I just live here.
Cardiff born and bred me.

And....
I've never been married. :D :D

I cannot understand how anyone can be offended by something, that some one says to you. Sticks and stones and all that.

I was once called, to my face..."A bald, fat, stupid, ****".......surely Magistrates should have a wider vocabulary

Latest posts

Back