Free Speech

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Must be the way in which it is expressed! I can't apologise for my opinion but being a knuckle-dragging, Neanderthal northerner with the reasoning power of a paralytic gnat it's only to be expected by some quarters. Some folk have actually said words to that effect, albeit disguised so as not to offend. As if!

Well, I can only apologise on behalf of the mod team as personal insults are against the rules and this kind of post should have been moderated. As I say we intend to be far more pro-active in moderating the forum (well the snug actually, as calling someone an IPA lover is probably a compliment) in future

Is it it the opinion that breaks the rules or the way it is expressed? All too often the opinion is circumspect but not expressed in a way that leads to moderation. Yet, the rules down allow for the necessary response of 'stop being a dick

Its a bit of a minefield to be honest we may not like the manner in which a member posts but if what they are saying is not threatening, offensive or in breach of the rules there is not a lot we can do if we start banning people from the snug because we don'y like the tone of their voice its not going to end well.

One thing that has gone unchecked here is members posting off topic in threads which often derails them we used to joke about it but i think its time to remove these posts and keep the thread on topic that should stop a lot of the arguments developing.

I think the main problem with censoring free (in general not on this forum) speech is that people who have bad views/opinions who get censored or just called some sort of phobic will feel that there view is correct and they are being persecuted and in some cases decide they are justified in physical attacks, while if they could express there view people could say why its wrong and if the view has any basis a constructive approach could be found.

The problem is when someone disagrees (however constructively) it usually ends in world war three especially at the weekend when i presume the home brew is flowing.

In the past we have been accused of censoring so were reluctant to remove posts (as in not heavy handed moderation discussed elsewhere) we have now decided if the mods agree posts will be removed and the member notified and warned if deemed necessary.

There's a HUGE difference between writing ...

"I don't agree with you because .... "

and

"You are an idiot because .... !"

With regard people who insult hard drinking gnats by claiming it is somehow connected to being "a Northerner" I can only raise my hands in horror ...

... and forgive them on the basis that my teacher said "Forgive them Father for they know not what they do." :whistle: :whistle:

There's a HUGE difference between writing ...

"I don't agree with you because .... "

and

"You are an idiot because .... !"

There is a hugh difference between opinions and facts, sometimes when arguing the first with later and it still doesn't go in using "I don't agree with you because .... ", the because in the second option becomes redundant.:lol:

The problem is when someone disagrees (however constructively) it usually ends in world war three especially at the weekend when i presume the home brew is flowing.

In the past we have been accused of censoring so were reluctant to remove posts (as in not heavy handed moderation discussed elsewhere) we have now decided if the mods agree posts will be removed and the member notified and warned if deemed necessary.

never post when tiddled is a good piece of advice although I'd imagine this forum would become a lot quieter :lol:

Back