freezing wine helps with maturing/aging?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I've read it, I'm not entirely sure what to make of it but I'm intrigued enough to test it for myself. I will report back in a few days.

Hi Wurzel, my first test is underway with a fairly young bottle of Fruity Pink Wurzel's already split between two small PETs and one already in the freezer. I will leave it in there for a couple more days and then give it a day to thaw, so I should report back mid-week.

sounds interesting!
Maybe this way I won't have to wait 2 months for a "vintage" :D
Maybe the freezing breaks down the fruit part?

Might be interesting to see if freezing for longer or repeated freezes improves matters more.

Will give this a try too.

would this work for a beer perhaps which didnt get a good cold break?? Think I should chuck a couple of bottles in the freezer?

Ok, so I got impatient. Initial test results are in.

Half a bottle of Fruity Pink Wurzel went in the freezer for around 36 hours, the other half stayed down the cellar. This was a very young wine, only bottled in the last fortnight. I removed the frozen one from the freezer last night, marked it with a piece of tape and stood it next to its counterpart.

This evening I took 2 identical plain glasses, fixed an identical little square sticker in the centre of each foot and marked one with a tiny blue dot. I poured equal measures into each glass, frozen and thawed wine in the glass with the blue dot, checked their temperatures which were identical at 11.5°C, placed them both in front of Mrs. Mole, turned my back and told her to switch them around a few times so I wouldn't know which was which and then we both took sips from both glasses.

One of them had an immediate and fairly harsh mouth feel and left a slightly sharp aftertaste, the other seemed smoother or lighter but left a much nicer finish. We both preferred the same glass. Emptied and turned over, it had a little blue dot.

This warrants further experimentation.

Hi all,

Is this the Miller 'ICE' Draft of the Wurzel world?

Many things I put in the freezer come out far superior to the item initially placed therein, curry - Thai and Indian as well as Chinese - Italian pastas with double cream and white wine sauce, cheese sauces and many fruit purees.

I think the freeze is just a progression of the 'Cold Clear' system as advocated by Moley and others.

Diesel1.

robsan77 said:
would this work for a beer perhaps which didnt get a good cold break?? Think I should chuck a couple of bottles in the freezer?

For beer Crash cooling your primary fermentation, for 3 days or so, by putting your FV in the fridge, or cooling to 3 deg C with a product coil and chiller, will be a better option to speed up conditioning and clearing.

Shane

good experiment moley, i wont be as fussy as il be the only one tasting it tomorrow i have the banana + rose hip, and a grape juice wine out of the freezer defrosting now, they are very young wines too and are pretty harsh see how they go :D

didnt have to wait till tomorrow after all,
the wines defrosted quickly in the kitchen so i poured
two glasses of the controll wines non frozen and
two of the frozen, first thing is that they are still clear
no haze i put rice and raisin wine in the fridge once
not in the freezer and got a bad haze,
the wines in my opinion taste a lot more mellow
after being in the freezer
the country wine was still a little sharp but
the juice wine is realy nice

Latest posts

Back