Fuel quality from the horses mouth.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I have heard that all standard fuel at the forecourts comes from the same place before but never from someone on the inside.

I moved to Tesco Momentum 99 (E5/Super grade) when E10 came out as its only a few pence more than Shell E10.

I would question that on 2 points, firstly he was entirely inaccurate in the first 30 seconds. We have 6 major refineries in the UK and we refine crude oil in to petrol and diesel. They aren't holding tanks for tankers full of refined fuel. That's a fundamental difference
And they are all on the coast and not lakes...
Secondly shell and BP get their fuel exclusively from 3 of those refineries, I know one of the buyers, and the fuel does have different specs that the other 3 refineries can't produce. And that's even the base fuel and not just the posh stuff

I wonder if the guy in the video in the OP meant crude comes from the same place, bit of a daft video calming he is in the know if it can be shown he doesn't so easily.

Edit to add - A comment from the first video -

rrrrrrrrrure.JPG

Last edited:
Yeah. Oil tankers on a lake certainly undermines any thought that he is a subject matter expert!

The only evidence this shows is that we all live in a post truth era.

Anecdotal and n=1, but my car (RS Clio 172) loves Tesco Momentum. More than standard 97.
It surprisingly it runs ok on E10 but economy is around 5-10% lower, so worth paying for premium every time I pass a Tesco.

We have a 20 plate 1L 3 cylinder juke turbo, it always seems to run better on asda E10, it gives 2 readouts the run your on and overall, on our run down to Cardigan it averaged 49.4 the overall figure since we have owned it is 44.9, i can live with that, i did get pulled on the way down so not a slow driver by any means

I have read a few threads in car forums and the general opinion seems to be cars do less mpg when using E10.

I have heard that all standard fuel at the forecourts comes from the same place before but never from someone on the inside.

I moved to Tesco Momentum 99 (E5/Super grade) when E10 came out as its only a few pence more than Shell E10.

on my trip up to scotland somewhere near by the diago brewery/distillery st. andrews E5 was nearly 40p a litre dearer.:mad: I drove back out. it's usually less than 10p a litre. as our cars re-tune for 99ron fuel we get more power and so use less fuel.

Anecdotal and n=1, but my car (RS Clio 172) loves Tesco Momentum. More than standard 97.
It surprisingly it runs ok on E10 but economy is around 5-10% lower, so worth paying for premium every time I pass a Tesco.
standard is usually 95 ron (the minimum required by law) . esso e5 is 99 and shell and bp premium is a 98ron and bp ultimate is 97ron.

So I always try to fill up at esso or failing that shell.

standard is usually 95 ron (the minimum required by law) . esso e5 is 99 and shell and bp premium is a 98ron and bp ultimate is 97ron.
So I always try to fill up at esso or failing that shell.

Quite a difference in price for super unleaded (see screen shot below)

What are the benefits of using Tesco Momentum 99?

Published: 22 November 2022
Momentum 99 contains a special blend of additives to help keep the fuel system clean and working at its best.
Additionally, the higher octane level (99 compared to 95 for regular unleaded petrol) gives improved overall engine performance for those cars that are able to take advantage

1682700802440.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back