GBBF Golden Ale submission

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm entering for the first time this year and wanted to get some opinions on my hop schedule for a Golden Ale, below.

On a 30 min boil. Aiming for light and fruity. 50/50 Pale Ale and Pilsner malts with a Burton profile.

Any thoughts most welcome, cheers.

Screenshot_20230531-082409.png

I agree with @Agentgonzo - that seems excessively bitter for a Golden Ale. I wouldn't expect to see more than about 30-35 IBUs. However, your OG and proposed water profile suggests you are actually brewing an IPA rather than a Golden Ale, so 50 IBUs isn't crazy (albeit not to style).

I'm also a bit intrigued by the combination of hops - what are you hoping to achieve from each one of those?

Strata and Harlequin I can understand as a pairing but I'm not sure what Saaz is really bringing to the party against those two. The use of Phoenix is the bit that really jumps out as a surprise to me though. It has a quite unique molasses / chocolate character, which from my experience carries through quite well when used as a late addition. I'd be worried that is going to clash with the dank and tropical passionfruit flavours from the Strata and Harlequin.

I agree with @Agentgonzo - that seems excessively bitter for a Golden Ale. I wouldn't expect to see more than about 30-35 IBUs. However, your OG and proposed water profile suggests you are actually brewing an IPA rather than a Golden Ale, so 50 IBUs isn't crazy (albeit not to style).

I'm also a bit intrigued by the combination of hops - what are you hoping to achieve from each one of those?

Strata and Harlequin I can understand as a pairing but I'm not sure what Saaz is really bringing to the party against those two. The use of Phoenix is the bit that really jumps out as a surprise to me though. It has a quite unique molasses / chocolate character, which from my experience carries through quite well when used as a late addition. I'd be worried that is going to clash with the dank and tropical passionfruit flavours from the Strata and Harlequin.
Thanks Stu - it's actually the first time I've brewed with Saaz and Strata, so I thought there might be a bit much going on.

I've brewed a Golden Ale with H. Mittledfruh/Citra and got nice results and was hoping for the same with this, just a bit more punchy. The Phoenix, just as a cheaper option for bittering.

My OG, again, I find that I usually hit lower than the numbers Brewfather gives me, although I'm getting closer. Will reassess this. Thanks for posting. Much appreciated

Hop IBU calculations are unreliable, I'd trust your own sensory judgement. Plus your at the high end of OG so that will balance it.

From the BJCP, which might be what it is judged against.

Vital Statistics​

IBU​

20 - 45

SRM​

2 - 6

OG​

1.038 - 1.053

FG​

1.006 - 1.012

ABV​

3.8% - 5%

If its a tried and tested hop selection you like, go for it. Otherwise, I'd echo @Stu's Brews comment about direction. Many Golden Ales are simple in hop choice, often single hop.

Saying that. It's your beer and you'll be drinking it, competition scores are just numbers.

It's actually the first time I've brewed with Saaz and Strata, so I thought there might be a bit much going on.
I don't think there would be a problem using the pair, just not sure the Saaz would really stand up against Strata as it has such a powerful dank character. Admittedly, Strata isn't the first hop I'd think to use in a Golden Ale but no reason why it can't.

The Phoenix, just as a cheaper option for bittering.
If you are just looking for bittering I'd go for something more neutral (Challenger or Magnum?) and throw it all in at 30 minutes (or earlier if you are doing a longer boil).

My OG, again, I find that I usually hit lower than the numbers Brewfather gives me, although I'm getting closer. Will reassess this. Thanks for posting. Much appreciated
Sounds like you need to reduce the mash efficiency number in Brewfather so that it gives you the correct predicted OG.

Thanks all - Have reassessed with the schedule below. Extended the boil to reduce flavour impact of the Pheonix and gone with Golding/Harlequin, so all British, which works with the Festival aspect.

View attachment 86241
Looks good - I find Harlequin can be quite floral, with some citrus notes, so should balance well with the honey/spice character of Goldings.

I'd personally look at increasing the quantity of the late additions and then reducing the bittering addition to balance it out. That way you'd get a bit more hop aroma/flavour.

Harlequin sounds nice, and very similar to the Ernest Hops I used for the Golden Ale I bottled at the weekend. Many of these new or resurrected British hops straddle the gap between traditional cask and modern craft, very well.

Latest posts

Back