Gelatin clarifier

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mangrove Jacks make a vegan fining - just over a quid for a sachet. It's made from fungal chitosan.

There's also Harris Starbrite which is also vegan.

Not that I'm accusing you of being vegan, just that these two options sound slightly less icky than gelatine and isinglass. That said, gelatine and isinglass are at least natural products - would rather those than anything chemically in my beers.

Couldn't agree more about all those chemicals in beers! Imagine that mix of about 95% dihydrogen oxide, 5% ethanol, and small amounts of terpene hydrocarbons, myrcene, α-humulene, β-caryophyllene, β-ionone, β-damascenone, geranial, neral, trans-4,5-epoxy-(E)-2-decenal, 1,3(E),5(Z)-undecatriene, 1,3(E),5(Z), 9-undecatetrene, ethyl 2-methylpropanoate, methyl 2-methyl-butanoate, propyl 2-methylbutanoate, (Z)-1,5-octadien-3-one, nonanal, isovaleric acid, etc.

Who would drink that stuff?o_O

(Me)

I have used beer-brite in my last two and they have indeed been clear and bright, my problem isnt so much haze not dropping out or anything, its transfer of cold break stuff making it all the way through to bottling, resulting in loose sediment aside from secondary yeast dropout.

To that end I have ordered a 300 micron hop spider so I plan to try my next couple of brews filtered from boiler to FV, then filtered from FV to secondary, or spider placed in FV and bottled from siphon tube.

If they go well then I will stop using any finings I think.

Latest posts

Back