General election

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which party will you vote for

• Labour

• Conservative

• Reform

• Green

• SNP

• Lib Dem

• Still on the fence.

• Plaid cymru

• Local Independant

Results are only viewable after voting.
It certainly looks like you're one of those disenfranchised by first past the post, even with tactical voting. Something like the Totnes primary system might have helped, but it's probably a bit late for that now.
That's a great way of doing things. The danger is, you end up with a house of independents and then they become the Tory or Labour puppets.

I like the idea of proportional representation, BUT, it needs to still be regional.

Where I last lived, my Tory MP really wasn't my sort - he was an evangelical Christian and that drove his politics.
I've no real issue with religion, but I'm not voting for someone because of which sky fairy they believe in, particularly as he voted against gay marriage and gay people aren't compatible with his religion.

However, he was actually a decent MP in that he got involved in local issues - a school being shut down. A housing estate being built on a busy industrial estate and so on. And although we lived 60 odd miles away from London, he refused to have a London apartment, so didn't claim any expenses. In fact, the only expenses he ever claimed were for part-time staff, rent of his constituency office, broadband and £881 in hotel fees for nights where the trains had stopped. In a whole year. He gets the train every day - I met him more than once at the station.

Seriously, I'd challenge anyone to pick holes in this fellas expenses.
https://www.theipsa.org.uk/mp-staffing-business-costs/your-mp/andrew-selous/1453

Most MPs claim £28,000 in rent. Many live a lot closer than this MP.

I was born in Scotland and am Scottish for the two hours it takes to watch a rugby match. Am sick of paying tax to fund its non-existent economy and its sickening victim like attitude.
So what about N. Ireland and Wales

Independence is a very complex issue, even more so for Scotland with a land border. The unification of Ireland is starting to get more air time.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cyee9y1j8gwo

Yeah, the only people less happy than the SNP to see Rishi calling the General Election were the DUP.

I genuinely think we'll see a United Ireland before an Independent Scotland.

I was born in Scotland and am Scottish for the two hours it takes to watch a rugby match. Am sick of paying tax to fund its non-existent economy and its sickening victim like attitude.
So much ignorance and gullibility in two sentences, well done.

I have wrote to Sunak asking if he can cancel the election as i am on holiday and that is unfair acheers.

Just use postal or proxy. That's the expectation for families in Scotland and NI who'll have started their school holidays.

Just use postal or proxy. That's the expectation for families in Scotland and NI who'll have started their school holidays.
I was joking DD, i am not voting keeping a tradition going back to 1972 when i swore i would never vote again and i haven't and, i will say it has done me no harm at all, we have a house paid for nice car 4 holidays a year and a decent living, does anyone really need to vote, wonder what would happen if that happened, nobody turning up on 4-7-24 acheers. the biggest peaceful protest of all

Much like the other reply independence may cost me my job but as a nation we can choose our own destiny we were duped out of oil rights decades ago now we have chance to have energy security and break the link between gas and electric prices. We have an abundance of renewable energy and can grow more to bring more jobs to Scotland. We currently have many great benefits such as free prescriptions, eye tests, bus travel etc. The hope is once we have the freedom to borrow and build as we choose we can grow and flourish.

Thanks for that detailed answer and i can understand why you would want to go it alone if i was Scottish i would vote for it for sure which makes me wonder who some scots do not want to leave why would you not want all the above?

Classy stuff from a moderator. Nothing screams victimhood like wanting to operate independently. No victim mentality here. What country out there doesn't want to have agency over their own country? It's normal. Scotland's economy is more productive than the vast majority of the rUK.

And for what it's worth, some of the most vociferous advocates of independence that I know, are people from England who've moved up here.

Moderators are members @Slid has the same right to post his views on any topic here as the rest of us.

Last edited:
And I have the right to criticise them for lack of self-moderation 👍

I didn't say you dont have the right to criticize what @Slid posted and i am not saying i agree with his post what i am saying is anyone can post a view on a topic however much it may offend other members as long as its within the rules.

Thanks for that detailed answer and i can understand why you would want to go it alone if i was Scottish i would vote for it for sure which makes me wonder who some scots do not want to leave why would you not want all the above?
Lots of unanswered questions to be fair and balanced currency is still a major issue likewise benefits and things like dvla and HMRC are all stumbling blocks the land border should be manageable most of Europe seem to be ok with it.

Having worked in this area I can say a large number of voters in Scotland like the SNP left of centre values and social beliefs and despite project fear the country did not collapse under SNP.

BUT a large numbers do not want independence but see the current system as the best approach other parties refuse to discuss Brexit or how to fix it take morally dubious approaches to Gaza crisis .
Many are unsure of full independence and do not trust what they are told we were all promised the earth for Brexit that was shown to be lies can fully understand why it's hard to trust when making HUGE constitutional change.

Plus let's not forget the elephant in the room the scandal of the SNP finances and former FMs husband who we can't name for legal reasons. This has rocked faith in the party but there is no other real show in town no other big parties will champion independence so very divisive Starmer has made it very clear there will be no deals or alliance with any other party.

I have no idea how this one will turn out tbh

If Labour win, i can't wait to see what changes in the 4 years, money is on nothing it will be same old different spin

You keep using the term people "need a brain transplant" when discussing what people believe parties will or can do, this lot have spent the last 14 years screwing the country up if you honestly believe labour can undo that damage in 4 years may i suggest its you that "need a brain transplant"

Back