Ginger Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motney

Reaction score
Hi
Brand new here. New home brewer aswell from Maidstone, Kent, just 4 months experience. Very first question if I may I am trying to make home-made alcoholic Ginger beer but the advice I am getting differs. Some say blend the ginger in a blender other say just chop or mash the ginger? Does a blending harm the root?

My fourth 5 gallon batch is in the fermenter now, it was blended along with the lemons and limes (I'm too lazy to grate).

The previos 3 batches have had high accolades from some of my friends, but it's very 'marmite' in by nature, most folk love my fiery ginger beer, but some hate it.

The yeast makes a big difference, if at all possible use champagne yeast.

I grated all my ginger. i don't see why you couldn't blend it...i don't think it matters either way. What recipe you using? I made some and it was good, super strong. You'll have to add loads of non-fermentable sweetener (ie. Splenda) coz it will be very dry without it

cwiseman77 said:
I grated all my ginger. i don't see why you couldn't blend it...i don't think it matters either way. What recipe you using? I made some and it was good, super strong. You'll have to add loads of non-fermentable sweetener (ie. Splenda) coz it will be very dry without it

It does tend to comme out a little dry ;)

I only add 1/2 teaspoon of sweetner to a pint in order to get a sweet ginger beer, the wife adds a heaped teaspoonful, but she likes her alcohol very sweet :)

I can, and do, drink mine without any sweetner at all, it tends to slow the consumption down a little, which at the sort of strenght it comes out at is a good thing ;)

Many thanks for all the welcomes and replies. Lots to learn. I am using Champagne yeast. It was a simple receipe for 5 gallons I found in a magazine at the dentist along with news of Germany invading Poland : )

Half a large Ginger root
Champagne yeast
3 lemons
1 pint of sugar

I had not thought about the sweetness thanks again. If good I will progress to the big tubs. A great start for me.

motney said:
Many thanks for all the welcomes and replies. Lots to learn. I am using Champagne yeast. It was a simple receipe for 5 gallons I found in a magazine at the dentist along with news of Germany invading Poland : )

Half a large Ginger root
Champagne yeast
3 lemons
1 pint of sugar

I had not thought about the sweetness thanks again. If good I will progress to the big tubs. A great start for me.

5 GALLONS?

Sorry mate, but 1/2 a ginger root wont cut it with 5 gallons of water :(

My 5 gallon brews have 3 kilos of ginger in them, plus a few lemons, plus cream of tartar, plus a couple of tea sppons of ginger powder, plus a lime, plus 2 kilos of sugar :D

Half of a large ginger root might not even give you a good 'bite' in a 5 litre brew :(

i put 2 heaped tsp of sweetner into each bottle, ive heard the fiery gingert beer is super dry. its probably going to be like syrup, but very high alcohol judging by how much sugar went in. :cheers:

Hello
New guy so be gentle- just made a lovely cheap Wilko lager in a 5 gallon barrel. Came out much better than I thought however its cloudy and there is no fizz or carbonation to it? I primed the barrel and the brew tastes sweet and has a good lasting head so I presume the priming sugar has done its job.
Would it be wrong to add carbonation drops now? or is it a case of re pitching which I have never done? All help appreciated.

Re:
"My 5 gallon brews have 3 kilos of ginger in them, plus a few lemons, plus cream of tartar, plus a couple of tea sppons of ginger powder, plus a lime, plus 2 kilos of sugar :D"

Many thanks for your reply. Have finally got around to trying your 5 gallon batch of Ginger Beer. A few tips please.
How much cream of Tartar
How long in the warm
How long in the cold
Any priming sugar when bottling?

motney said:
Re:
"My 5 gallon brews have 3 kilos of ginger in them, plus a few lemons, plus cream of tartar, plus a couple of tea sppons of ginger powder, plus a lime, plus 2 kilos of sugar :D"

Many thanks for your reply. Have finally got around to trying your 5 gallon batch of Ginger Beer. A few tips please.
How much cream of Tartar
How long in the warm
How long in the cold
Any priming sugar when bottling?

Fiery Ginger Beer 5 gallons

1kg Fresh grated ginger
5tsp Dried ground ginger
1tsp Cream of tartar
2 lemons
2 limes
2.5kg Sugar
1 sachet champagne yeast

Think I only fermented mine for 10 days, i primed with 100g sugar. Check out the Fiery Ginger Beer thread, loads of good tips for this brew on there

viewtopic.php?t=5982

Latest posts

Back