Glen Shiel Gale - 02-03-14

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunfie

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm attempting another APA/Lager hybrid today. Its a style I've been really enjoying and I have had some WLP yeast in the fridge that needs using up. Mash was on for 7:30 so its about time I started sparging. :)

Aww that sounds like it will be a cracking beer, the centennial/cascade combo is one I have heard a few people use and it works really good. Will have to try something similar soon, so many beers to make! So little time!!!

Thanks chaps :cheers:

It was my first brew since November so really enjoyed it. The yeast has a best before of 28th Feb but hopefully enough viable cells between the two vials to get things moving. If there is a problem I have a sachet of S23 as a backup. :hmm:

It turns out the yeast was dead - absolutely nothing happening in the fermenter. Plan B was just as bad - I thought I had a spare S23 but I didn't. The best I could do was a sachet of Rob's West Coast Ale Yeast so this isn't going to be a hybrid after all. Its just going to be a straight APA. :roll:

Might still work Calum. I would have waited a wee bit longer.

I recently pitched a vial of WLP and it was approaching its best before date so quite old. I also didn't make a starter. Just pitched straight it.

That took almost 3 days to get going by did in the end.

It'll be a great beer regardless!!

K

kev said:
Might still work Calum. I would have waited a wee bit longer.

I recently pitched a vial of WLP and it was approaching its best before date so quite old. I also didn't make a starter. Just pitched straight it.

That took almost 3 days to get going by did in the end.

It'll be a great beer regardless!!

K

I didn't want to risk it Kev so I'll probably end up with some hybrid beer.

I've ordered some S23 from Rob so might just go for the same again this weekend but ferment with the proper yeast.

Aye fair dos. I sent Jed a few texts when I was worried then about 36hrs later I spotted a little froth before going to work. Came home to massive krausen.

Bottled that beer last weekend actually and it didn't finish quite as dry as I hoped so the slow start obviously impacted on a few things.

K

I've just popped out to the garage to check how it's going. I got a big whiff of sulphur so it smells like the Pilsner yeast has taken hold after all.

Dunfie said:
I've just popped out to the garage to check how it's going. I got a big whiff of sulphur so it smells like the Pilsner yeast has taken hold after all.

or you sharted on your way into the garage!! :lol:

Back