Glucosamine and Chondroitin

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyQul

Chairman of the Bored
Reaction score
Anyone else take this for their joints? As I know there are lot of old gits (I say this with affection as I consider myself an old git even though I'm in my 40's) on the forum.

I started taking it a couple of months ago for my knees as I was getting knee pain off an on from lots of cycling. It seems to have done wonders. My knees feel 20 years younger. I regularly do maintenence on my bike and usually just squat/kneel down to do it. Before, my knees would kind of creak and it seemed a right stain on them. But now that has all gone away. About the same time as starting taking the G&C I started drinking about at least 2L of water a day too. This is supposed to help with joints also as the fluids in the joints need water of course. So there's a possability it could just be the water but I think its either the G&C of a combination of the G&C and water.

It is quite an initial outlay but it works out relatively cheap over time. The best deals I've found it either to buy it in the Holland & Barrett penny sale (£23 for two months) or even cheaper, to get it from boots in their 3 for 2 sales.6 months supply cost me £60

Its nice to hear a tried and tested review on these as the internet still doesn't seem to have good enough evidence if these work or not

My knee is a bit dodge atm I may see if my misses (she works there)can get me some with her discount along with the Penney pale this should be a decent price

Cheers myqul

If you read up on examine.com, the clinical evidence for Glucosamine and joint pain is mixed. I have been taking it for a dodgy right knee / hip for ages. When I read that the evidence wasn't that strong, I thought I would stop taking it. Very gradually, the pain returned / increased. So I started taking it again, and very gradually, it significantly lessens. Now, it could be a placebo, but if it is its a very cleaver one as it takes a while for it to take effect. Either way, it helps me. I get mine from Zipvit - cheapest I've found anywhere.

There is virtually zero evidence of it ever causing any harm, so I'd say give it a go if you have a niggly joint that the Docs can't sort out. It's a cheap as chips now, so your not risking a lot. Do get the Docs to check you out first, though, just in case its something more serious.

M glad you have some joy! I tried the glucosamine many years ago due to being decrepit with my hip for years..it did work but made me feel sick....?? So stopped...
Ultimately the titanium/ceramic combo worked for me!

A friend of mine has been taking DMSO for his arthritis with great results.
"Some side effects of taking DMSO include skin reactions, dry skin, headache, dizziness, drowsiness, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, breathing problems, vision problems, blood problems, and allergic reactions. DMSO also causes a garlic-like taste, and breath and body odor."

Rather him than me. Still, if it works for him that's all that matters I suppose.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

I worked with a guy some years ago who used to soak potatoes overnight and then drink the water in the morning, he swore it really helped with his arthritis. Apparently it's an old Russian remedy.
Just looked on internet and there's a load of info about it.

Last edited:
I been taking glucosamine sulphate for my knees since I restarted weight training, but from what I understand it only seems to work on about half the population for some reason. I also take fish oil capsules for the same reason.

I’m 28 and I’m taking it due to double knee op and not a lot of cartilage left. The ache and pain hasn’t been affected but it does feel much freer moving.

Gonna have to try some of that stuff. I'm knocking on a bit but still very active, though it feels like a battle that is slowly being lost. Most of the time I feel like I've fallen from the top of a tall tree, bounced off all the branches on the way down and landing on concrete, then being run over by a dustbin lorry whilst waiting for the ambulance to arrive. Ye - getting older is grim.

I have taken it in the past. At the time it was more of a preventative measure. My knees still sound like a pocket of loose coins but no pain. Unless it is in my other vitamins I don' take it. I usually buy all mine from savers or homebargain type shops. Much cheaper

Gonna have to try some of that stuff. I'm knocking on a bit but still very active, though it feels like a battle that is slowly being lost. Most of the time I feel like I've fallen from the top of a tall tree, bounced off all the branches on the way down and landing on concrete, then being run over by a dustbin lorry whilst waiting for the ambulance to arrive. Ye - getting older is grim.
Come off it Gunge, you're just a mere youngster. Wait till you're getting close to 70, the branches of the tree are made of concrete as well.o_O

Come off it Gunge, you're just a mere youngster. Wait till you're getting close to 70, the branches of the tree are made of concrete as well.o_O

I've had a hard life and there ain't any sign of it getting easier anytime soon! Cod liver oil and dichlofenac (sp?) don't cut it anymore...

How does it work?

fffffff.jpg
:laugh8:

(sorry couldn't resist)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back