going to keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep my beer in small chest freezer (keezer) at 2 degrees. But you can have it higher, it just carbonate easier at lower temps. My brewing fridge can keep temp around 4 degrees without any stat. So you should be OK. But just test it, play with fridge own thermostat. You can keep beer at higher temps, like cellar temp, but carbonation will take longer.

I keep my beer in small chest freezer (keezer) at 2 degrees. But you can have it higher, it just carbonate easier at lower temps. My brewing fridge can keep temp around 4 degrees without any stat. So you should be OK. But just test it, play with fridge own thermostat. You can keep beer at higher temps, like cellar temp, but carbonation will take longer.

Cheers. Hopefully kegs arriving soon as they have a bit of a back log and I have a beer ready to dry hop for a few days and ideally want them for that. I'll use the time to record the temps. I have an inkbird BBQ thermometer so could use that with my phone to monitor over a few days to see average temps.

Hi Stephenj - I set mine to 3.2c with a variance of 0.8c (so rises to 4c and then the compressor kicks in and it cools to 3.2c) I use a temp controller to keep this set, as I have a chest freezer, but if you are using a fridge you likely won't need that. Just choose the right temp for you on the dial.

I like my beer cool, but I also use the keezer as an overflow food storage so I have to keep it at food safe temps. I drink mainly APA type beers and steam beers, so that temp works well for me. If you want a higher temp then just set the fridge to that. I would think you'd only need a heater if the fridge is somewhere very very cold? Heaters are normally for using the fridge as a temp controlled fermentation space.

Hi Stephenj - I set mine to 3.2c with a variance of 0.8c (so rises to 4c and then the compressor kicks in and it cools to 3.2c) I use a temp controller to keep this set, as I have a chest freezer, but if you are using a fridge you likely won't need that. Just choose the right temp for you on the dial.

I like my beer cool, but I also use the keezer as an overflow food storage so I have to keep it at food safe temps. I drink mainly APA type beers and steam beers, so that temp works well for me. If you want a higher temp then just set the fridge to that. I would think you'd only need a heater if the fridge is somewhere very very cold? Heaters are normally for using the fridge as a temp controlled fermentation space.

Excellent stuff. Sounds like I should be ok with just the fridge. I ferment I. A freezer with a heater so the fridge would be kegs and bottles only at drinking temp. Cheers for the help.

Back