golden ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam.k

Landlord.
Reaction score
so i have had a bit of a muck around on brewmate and come up with this as an idea for my next brew.

brew size - 23l
EST OG - 1.045
EST FG - 1.011
EST ABV 4.4%
EBC 11.8
IBU 29.7
efficiency 75%

4kg MO pale malt
200g amber malt
200g torrified wheat

40g fuggles (5.7%aa) - 60 mins
10g saaz (3.6%aa) - 15 mins
10g styrian goldings (4.4%aa) - 15 mins
10g saaz (3.6%aa) - flame out
10g styrian goldings (4.4%aa) flame out

whirloc in at 15 mins to end

safale s-04

what do you guys think? i think it may be a bit hoppy but theres only one way to find out i guess lol, any ideas to tweek or improve the recipe or shall i just throw down and make it :)

I like this. I think the late hops are a nice touch and not at all too hoppy.

The only thing I'd change and this is just me, is I'd try to find a yeast with more character. I used to use s-04 all the time but it's just so clean that it doesn't really add much to the beer. Unless I'm in a real bind, I use liquid yeast. I just think that the esters and "fruit" that those strains add to the beer are something I really like as part of my English beers. I just don't get that from S-04. Again, that's just my opinion and there is nothing bad or wrong about S-04. I've used it many times.

Let us know how it turns out!

I think I'm going to stick with s-o4 for now, if the recipe works then I will try it with other yeast and see what happens

Absolutely. If you have S04 and are ready to brew, go for it. It will definitely let the malt and hops shine.

I haven't actually ordered any of the ingredients yet so I'm still mostly fluid as to what I'm going to use :)

Ffffffff argh!!! I received my ingredients today and realised I forgot to order the amber malt!!

Argh!

Back