Gone with the wheat - English bitter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolfster

Landlord.
Reaction score
I brewed this one last night. Its a gluten free kit, and the company seem to get good reviews.

You get 2 cans of sorghum syrup, 2 bottles of hop extract, and some yeast. To make 5 gallons.
I was a little worried about the yeast, and the brew getting stuck, so I have used Gervin GV12 yeast, which I rehydrated in 110ml of 34degree water. (past experience of a different kit!)

The syrup was very thick and sweet, also lighter than I expected. I warmed it in the sink with water from the hot tap. Should have done this hotter and longer as there was a little bit of messing about to get all of it out! :oops:

The brewing tips said the sediement would be firmer if the extract was boiled for 20minutes before putting in the FV, so I did this. Added this to the fermenter and topped it up to 21L with tap water. I have brewed slightly short and its at an OG of 1.047 which makes it a little bit less than 5% given on the tubs. I guess I could have got a little more syrup out....

I have not added the hop extract yet, going to wait until the main fermentation has finished.
Will keep you posted.
R

If it's like their Czech lager kit, it'll want a bit of bottle time for the "this is sorghum" flavour to mellow. The lager's quite good now, but it's several months old.

Cheers OB.
It looked a bit lagerey in colour to tell you the truth!
I was a bit late puttin it on. Its got until the 25th of December if you get my drift...... :oops:
R

Rolfster said:
Cheers OB.
I was a bit late puttin it on. Its got until the 25th of December if you get my drift...... :oops:
R

Yes, sadly there's not much colour in sorghum syrup. I got a couple of cans of just the syrup, going to try to make t'missus a mild: have got some caramel-based gravy browning for the colour!

oldbloke said:
Rolfster said:
Cheers OB.
R

Yes, sadly there's not much colour in sorghum syrup. I got a couple of cans of just the syrup, going to try to make t'missus a mild: have got some caramel-based gravy browning for the colour!

:sick:

RobWalker said:
oldbloke said:
Rolfster said:
Cheers OB.
R

:sick:

Tsk. Was a common ingredient of homebrew back in the 60s. Almost no flavour, adds colour and maybe just a hint of sweetness.
When you've made DuncanIncapable's GF ersatz ale recipes, involving marmite and prune juice etc, a bit of gravy browning seems insignificant!

I was thinking about gently scorching the sryup to give a little colour.

Maybe I need to get some gravy browning...... :?

Nah, a lot of "real" bitters are very pale, do it straight this time, see what you think, maybe adjust next time.

The air lock activity has slowed right down, and taken about 2 and a half weeks to do so.
I put the hop extract in last night, and rinsed out the bottles with a little cooled boiled water also adding this to the VF. Will take a hyrometer reading tomorrow, and maybe have a cheeky taste.......

And after 2 and a half weeks it has dropped to a wopping 1.030.
Yes thats right its not done, and disgusting!

Gave it a stir and wrapped it in a towel and thats all I can do at the moment. Its nice and warm.

I am really hoping it gets going, as I will have wasted 30 odd quid and will have to find another present for my gluten free dad :doh: .

So it looks like it was just too cold.

Having moved it to next to the radiator it has finally got to 1.011.
Looks like I will get it bottled in time for christmas.
WOOOOHOOOOO.

Only problem is it still tastes discusting!
A real chemically taste.
Not harsh phenolic flavours, can't really describe it.
I think it is because I added the hop extract too late.....

oldbloke said:
Rolfster said:
I think it is because I added the hop extract too late.....

Quite possibly. If that is it, it'll age out quite quickly

Thank you! I will bottle it up and keep you posted to the progress of it.
Must learn to follow instructions, must learn to follow instructions, must learn to follow instructions, must learn to follow instructions.

Bottled this today. Got 36 bottles of 4.7ish beer I think.
It has noticeably improved from the last tasting. If it keeps improving at this rate it should make a reasonably tasty present!

How did it turn out in the end, after ageing in the bottle? I only want to know because my daughter is gluten intolerant so I was thinking of giving this kit a go - but it is a lot of money if you don't know how it's going to turn out ! And if it's c**p it'll be me that ends up having to drink it !

Latest posts

Back