got an allotment yesterday ;)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Titch

Landlord.
Reaction score
finally got an allotment yesterday
only a little one on a local site, but it will get us going
have grown things last couple of years with the kids in the back garden but now we have a plot with my folks

going to pop up later get a couple of pictures for a diary

and the best thing is, now we have an allotment she has given me the green light to use the old beds at home for guess what?

YES HOPS

happy days

Lucky man, we used to have a 'double plot' allotment before we moved :!: it's the only thing I miss from our old place we used to live :( rarely bought veg back then, used to wander down on a Sunday morning when we had visitors, took back a load of freshly gathered stuff for lunch, was brilliant :thumb: you might need a bigger freezer next ;) good luck with it :thumb:

Titch said:
finally got an allotment yesterday
only a little one on a local site, but it will get us going
have grown things last couple of years with the kids in the back garden but now we have a plot with my folks

going to pop up later get a couple of pictures for a diary

and the best thing is, now we have an allotment she has given me the green light to use the old beds at home for guess what?

YES HOPS
Fantastic,
We've had an allotment for a year now, it's the best thing I've done - apart from brewing.
Used part of our blackcurrent crop for making a couple of gallons of wine - haven't tried it yet I'm gonna leave it to mature for a year.
Managed to get two further half plots this year so its gonna be a busy one.
You'll have a great time.

happy days

Lucky lucky man, how long did you have to wait? There is ment to be a community one run by the ground works trust mear us but i have never found it yet. :lol: :lol:

evanvine said:
You must all be very keen gardeners!
I struggle to cope with my garden, but do manage to grow Hops and Grapes.
Yeah good choice that man.... Bollox to cabbage 'N' carrots... ;)

BB

Little bee hive for ya.... £14.99 <<CLICKY>>

The problem with my garden is that

a) it is tiny
b) its actually not a garden but trampoline arena and football pitch
c) its actually a cave well it may as well be with next doors conifers :evil: :evil: No sun light and acidic soil.

I would love to grow my own veg. However I have decided to forage wild greens instead just bought a couple of books :P :P

just popped down its only a little starter plot compared to my firends but i think it is small as it is really my mums so OAP is smaller etc

10m x 15m cost here £12 a year has water on site, electric if needed

so time to plan some things now i know the size etc

i think waiting time was 18mths to 2 yrs

graysalchemy said:
Lucky lucky man, how long did you have to wait? There is ment to be a community one run by the ground works trust mear us but i have never found it yet. :lol: :lol:
We have various waiting lists her, some as long as 6 years & others are 2 years.
Had to wait 2 years to get our plot and was lucky enough to get a full sized one. Everybody seems to have apple & pear trees so we had a glut of fruit last year - this autumn its gonna be CIDER :cheers:

graysalchemy said:
However I have decided to forage wild greens instead just bought a couple of books :P :P

Food for free by Richard Mabey is a great book for foraging :thumb:

eggman said:
graysalchemy said:
However I have decided to forage wild greens instead just bought a couple of books :P :P

Food for free by Richard Mabey is a great book for foraging :thumb:

Got the River Cottage one last week for my birthday and ordered Richard Mabey as well as. Also ordered The Wild Flower Key (Revised Edition) - How to identify wild plants, trees and shrubs in Britain and Ireland by Francis Rose and Clare O'Reilly. Seems to be the key that is recommended. I don't want to pick some Hemlock water dropwort :nono: :nono:.

Wild Garlic is just about appearing at least that is easy to find along with nettle. Planning a nettle and wild garlic ravioli with a wild garlic pesto. just thinking about it is making me hungry :lol:

Congrats on the 'lotty. I just took one on in October so steep learning curve but pleased to have got ahead of the weather. You will have your work cut out in the next few weeks getting ready to plant it. Enjoy!

A couple of weeks ago the hungry sailors were on tv out foraging, aparently the common prickly thistle is a good substitute for celery, pick the young shoots and take off the outer (bark) and use the flesh inside, thinking of making a gallon of celery/thistle wine this year just out of curiosity, Dave

I've got a stack of old 'grow your own' mags in the shed. A good 2-3 years worth I'd say.
Free to anyone that wants to collect or is happy to pay postage.

Latest posts

Back