Grain Basket Help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a Klarstein “BeerFest” Mash Kettle which up till now have been using with BIAB, however it’s messy to say the least and a cumbersome process imo. So i thought i would try to source a grain basket instead of using the mesh bags, but can i heck find one that fits the Klarstein.

Angel Home Brew do advertise a perfect one which is a replacement for the Robobrew/Brewzilla 35ltr models. Not a bad price either at £48, unfortunately they are out of stock and look to have been for some time.

The internal dimensions of the Klarstein are 280mm diameter x 400mm depth, that’s to the top of the false bottom.

Does anyone know where i can get hold of a suitable grain basket?

My first kettle was a klarstein fullhorn biab could i find a basket no chance, i now have a fullhorn and a brewzilla athumb..
So frustrating. I’ve even thought of trying to make one using a food grade plastic bucket adapted with a mesh bottom, but i can’t even source a suitably sized bucket either.

So frustrating. I’ve even thought of trying to make one using a food grade plastic bucket adapted with a mesh bottom, but i can’t even source a suitably sized bucket either.
It is so annoying but at the same time i am glad i bought the brewzilla, i still use the fullhorn now and then like if i want to brew a beer but don,t want a full batch in case i don't like it

It is so annoying but at the same time i am glad i bought the brewzilla, i still use the fullhorn now and then like if i want to brew a beer but don,t want a full batch in case i don't like it
I’ll probably end up doing the same sometime in the future, but not just yet, i’ll persevere with this one to hone my skills a bit first. I’m just trying to make the whole process a little easier and less messy.

There’s got to be something out there somewhere surely?

Hi All,

I have a Klarstein “BeerFest” Mash Kettle which up till now have been using with BIAB, however it’s messy to say the least and a cumbersome process imo. So i thought i would try to source a grain basket instead of using the mesh bags, but can i heck find one that fits the Klarstein.

Angel Home Brew do advertise a perfect one which is a replacement for the Robobrew/Brewzilla 35ltr models. Not a bad price either at £48, unfortunately they are out of stock and look to have been for some time.

The internal dimensions of the Klarstein are 280mm diameter x 400mm depth, that’s to the top of the false bottom.

Does anyone know where i can get hold of a suitable grain basket?
Over here the Robo Brew grain baskets are $15, about 7.5 GBP The killer I suppose would be the conveyance. Is there anything you could purchase in HDPE in a suitable size, drill some holes in the bottom. That is what I did in my early brewing endeavors.

Over here the Robo Brew grain baskets are $15, about 7.5 GBP The killer I suppose would be the conveyance. Is there anything you could purchase in HDPE in a suitable size, drill some holes in the bottom. That is what I did in my early brewing endeavors.
I can get hold of a HDPE bucket quite easily and cheaply, the issue is the sizes are just not right for the Klarstein. Anything in the right diameter of 280mm (ish) could be slightly smaller maybe, but it’s the height, they’re only like 280mm high which wouldn’t allow much room for grain.

The Robobrew Malt Pipe is the perfect solution, getting hold of one is the problem. Anything coming in from the states or china demands around £80 to £100 shipping charges and it’s just not worth the hassle to be honest.

I’ve sent an email to Klarstein to see if the Malt Pipe from the Maischfest Boiler would fit and is it available to buy as their website doesn’t indicate sizes or availability as a seperate item. They usually respond within a few days, usually in german language :D:D:D

Can you remember what size holes you drilled in the bucket? And did you have any issues with wort drainage through the holes?

Try contacting Getabrewed they sourced an o ring for me from a different make and model fermenter. They were very helpful.

@Brewelder
Find a stainless steel welder who can make a simple bucket frame and then fit the SS mesh into it. I thought somewhere I saw someone supplying / making the baskets in the UK.
Something like the claw hammer basket would be good to copy.

@Brewelder
Find a stainless steel welder who can make a simple bucket frame and then fit the SS mesh into it. I thought somewhere I saw someone supplying / making the baskets in the UK.
Something like the claw hammer basket would be good to copy.
I am a welder mate, well, was but still can. Problem is the equipment needed to roll and bend the material which i don’t have. Saying that, you’ve got my creative juices flowing now and already have a plan. Thanks.

Thought you might be, I've no experience myself, but do know SS welding is more tricky. Reminds me I need find someone to weld a piece of SS 10mm high, about 2 mm thick and 290mm internal diameter.
Must hit the phone / email today.
Keep us updated.

Thought you might be, I've no experience myself, but do know SS welding is more tricky. Reminds me I need find someone to weld a piece of SS 10mm high, about 2 mm thick and 290mm internal diameter.
Must hit the phone / email today.
Keep us updated.
Will do mate, and if i get my welder set up I’ll be glad to help out. Stainless isn’t hard to weld at all so i just need to source the materials and see if it’s cost effective cos if it isn’t then I’ll probably be putting and all in one on my Christmas list to the wife.

Send me some photo’s or a sketch of what you need welding if you can.

Will do mate, and if i get my welder set up I’ll be glad to help out. Stainless isn’t hard to weld at all so i just need to source the materials and see if it’s cost effective cos if it isn’t then I’ll probably be putting and all in one on my Christmas list to the wife.

Send me some photo’s or a sketch of what you need welding if you can.
Kind offer, I'm in New Zealand, so I'm going to try a little more local!!

Latest posts

Back