Grain help please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetMoFo

Reaction score
Hi, I'm relatively new to brewing AG and am having some grain problems. I'll explain what I mean.

I find a good recipe that I want to try and then when I try and order the ingredients I get stuck, the recipe asks for "American 2 row Pale" or "dextrin Malt" or "Caramel Pillsner" or various other ways of naming malts that I'm sure are just listed under different names. I can have a guess at what they are but would rather know for sure. Also some of the malts have a number after them that adds to my confusion. I order from the Malt Miller who I found from the add on this site and have found to be very good if that helps.

Ideally I would like to know if there is a cross reference chart any ware as I don't really want to ask here every time I need to make a brew, even tough I know you guys would be happy to help.

Thanks

Chris

Most brewers in uk as standard will use Pale malt, Maris Otter being the main one or one gaining popularity is Crisp Pale Malt. It is the backbone of most brews.
Speciality Malts are then added to give various properties, colour and sweetness etc, they are used in smaller quantities in the brew.
Have a look at malt Millers malts and you will seen a brief desc of them and their properties.

Here in the US, our caramel/crystal malts all come with a number after them. I believe the UK versions are just light, medium, and dark. That corresponds to Crystal 10 or 20, Crystal 60, and Crystal 120, roughly. The other numbers are just varying degrees of color.

For American 2 row, you can just use UK pale malt or maris otter. Dextrin malt or CaraPils are just really light crystal malts.

This may help:

http://bsghandcraft.com/resources/malt_ ... ence_chart

Baz

Don't forget one of our forum sponsors, Rob, The Malt Miller :thumb:

When I first started AG brewing I had a couple of questions about ordering grain, Rob was very helpful and will offer advice as to alternatives/similar grains and will mill grain for you into whatever size batches you want :thumb:

SweetMoFo said:
Ideally I would like to know if there is a cross reference chart any ware as I don't really want to ask here every time I need to make a brew, even tough I know you guys would be happy to help.

There's a malt chart in The Homebrew Handbook. You can actually see it on the "look inside" option, it's on page 21.

:drink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the great replies. It turns out the answer was right under my nose and thanks to Abiruth I have now opened my copy of "The Homebrew Handbook" that I got for Christmas. The 1 of 3 brewing books I got and only one not yet read.

Thanks

OK I think i'm getting the hang of it now but just 1 small problem. A recipe for a Kolsch I'm looking at asks for the following

Grain 1: Weyerman Pilsner 75% = 3466 g
Grain 2: Belgian Vienna Malt 20% = 924 g
Grain 3: German Caramel Pils 5% = 231 g

Now for the Weyerman Pilsner there are 3 different types at the malt miller,

WEYERMANN PREMIERE PILSNER MALT
WEYERMANN FLOOR MALTED BOHEMIAN PILSNER MALT
WEYERMANN® BOHEMIAN PILSNER MALT

My guess is that they would all do and that there are only subtle differences between them. Am I correct?

Next the Belgian Vienna Malt, now The Malt Miller does 2 vienna malts, 1 English and 1 German. Will either one be more suited or is it a case of try it and see what you like?

And finaly the German Caramell Pils. This one I hope is easy and is the WEYERMANN CARAPILS®.

I'm thinking that if I buy any of these malts then I will get a good beer but before I buy them I just want to make sure I'm not being a fool and wasting a good brew day and a month or 2 of taking up fridge space for something that could be better.

Thanks again and good night, I will check back in the morning. :drunk:

For a German Kolsch, I'd stick with German malt wherever possible. But for the most part, yes, pilsner malt is pilsner malt. I think any of those will make a fine beer.

Baz

phettebs said:
For a German Kolsch, I'd stick with German malt wherever possible. But for the most part, yes, pilsner malt is pilsner malt. I think any of those will make a fine beer.

Baz

Thanks Baz. BTW that link you posted above has been very helpful for me as well. :cheers:

Chris

Back