grainfather conical FV

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Owning both the classic brew fridge with an inkbird controller/heat mat type set up and a GF CFV I'll offer what I've found from using both...

If you want to brew a range of beer styles where temp control is important to the style (lagers, Belgian's etc) **I know it's important for all decent beer but I think you understand what I mean** and are gonna get the pump kit along with the Pro Edition you'll have a really solid unit that can do all but pressure ferment! I have a Pro Edition I got used (which came with all the add-on's) and I'm really happy with it. The Temp controller can be a bit fiddly and really could benefit from a re-think in how it attaches to the unit (this might well have been updated) as it has a fragile strip of plastic which could easily break if one accidentally dropped it. I speak from experience but super glue fixed the snap! I use a coolbox filled with cold water and 2l bottles straight from the freezer in place of a glycol chiller and it works well - just keep a daily check that the water in the cooler is cold and replace the frozen water bottles as needed. It's a solid pro looking unit and I'm happy with it!

I use my old fermenting fridge just as much as the GF conical - depending on what I'm brewing. I've found the fermenting fridge with heat mat/inkbird set up can actually require less attention than the GF CFV as the Inkbird rides the temp without me needing to do very much which if I'm lagering kinda makes more sense. The GF CFV would be really in its element with a glycol system hooked up but its hard to justify the whole cost of the package when a cheap used fridge, a brew bucket and heatmat/inkbird can be had for such a small amount in comparison.

I'm happy to have both set ups and enjoy the flexibility I have with them but if I were to think about a second FV and I had the additional space in a garage/shed I'd maybe consider another fridge and a Fermzilla which allows fermentation under pressure - as it would be just as handy to use, require little intervention and I'd have the added advantage of pressure transfer. The GF CFV can do pressure transfer but requires additional kit.

There is no denying that the GF CFV looks great, I've not had an issue with mine (other than the temp unit appearing fragile which again might have been updated), its really easy to clean and works as you'd expect but if I had the additional space I'd happily sell it and get a second fridge, a nice stainless fermenting bucket or a FermZilla (for fermenting under pressure) along with another heatmat/inkbird and crack on as it would work equally well for my needs and be less expensive too!

I'm moving flat soon and in the new gaff there is an area which I hope to use as my wee brewing space - it's an indoor cupboard which is basically 'under the stairs' for the flat above. If it sits about the 10c mark I may get the FermZilla for my lagers and allow the natural temps to do all the work and pressure as it ferments. As soon as I get in I'll be checking ambient temp and planning a lager brew day in my trusty brew bucket :) I digress...

I'm sure others will offer their opinion and view point but the bottom line is the GF CFV is a quality bit of kit - other kit can do the same job but maybe not in quite as elegant a package!

that's a really first class reply, my current setup is FV in a insulated box , brewbelt and inkbird 308.
and this winter it has worked well.
I like the idea of yeast draw off every few days so leaned towards conical FV. So my initial view was infact a brew fridge and a PET conical fermenter, then got caught up in the shiny Stainless look of the grainfather.
fact is I would need to brew in a fridge in summer as my brewing shed gets very hot or use a chiller with the GF.
Not sure of the advantages of a pressure fermentation system is really.

Cheers. I’m on night shift and it’s when I do my catching up on home brew stuff

Pressure transfer reduces the risk of unwanted oxygen getting into the beer which might not be that big an issue but really benefits the NEIPA style beers keeping them bright and fresh looking.

Pressure fermentation retains the bright hop aroma, can speed up fermentation (I believe), facilitates pressure transfer and allows for natural carbonation to occur which interests me.

again thank you for a great response.

I think I might get a fast fermenter,and use it with my brew belt, and my Inkbird 308. and use it inside a tall fridge this should I think , give me all the requirements that I would get with a GF and Chiller .
Now that you use both methods what would be your advise ?

Last edited:
I too have the Pro edition and a cooling pump kit. I also have a pressure transfer kit (which I haven't used yet). I love it, but then I use it with a tilt so it's pretty much aerate, pitch, program the temperature profile and keep one eye on it remotely. It's easy to clean and I do use the dump valve to reuse the second yeast dump. It's easy to keep clean and take samples from without having to take the lid off.

That said - I have just bought myself a Fermzilla for oxygen free dry hopping for Neipas and DDH or TDH IPAs. I also managed without either of these items for years and made really good beer.

The Pro GF Conical Fermenter is fantastic for simpler recipes, where minimal interference is needed and with a few small additions (like a plaato valve) it's perfect.

very interesting how does the fermzilla work and how does it enable oxegen free Dry hopping.

many thanks

You can fill the bottom container with hops and Co2. When you open the valve they push up through the fermenter. I did have to buy additional bits for the Fermzilla mind. Like a heatbelt, you'd need an inkbird and also without a bit of further investment (i.e. a fridge, temperature twister, glycol chiller) you wouldn't be able to chill it. The blurb that comes with it also states that you shouldn't pressurize it after 2 years or so, whether that's just touting for business or not I dunno, but it's worth mentioning.

hi yes saw that about two year life.
I've beet told of others like Karlstein and hopcat but cant get information from them on if and how they regulate temp during fermentation.

If I had a shed and a fridge - be sure and get the dimensions of your FV so it'll fit in whatever fridge you end up getting ;) I'd go heat mat/inkbird and a FermZilla-type FV for the reason's I've mentioned above. If you do fancy doing a NEIPA you can get oxygen free hop additions as well as closed transfer to minimise oxygen ingress etc and still have enough money for a Plaato for remote monitoring if that was something you fancied trying out! Old fridges are always available locally on Gumtree etc.

TheFermZilla should allow you to remove yeast easily and dry hop - both systems look a little awkward for yeast removal - getting the jar off/dump valve opening and catching the yeast but I think any yeast dump system would require a some kneeling and groping about etc.

ok fellow Brewers thank you for the advise I have gone for following set up as I already have a brewbelt and inkbird308.

fermentzilla in a brew fridge both arrive tomorrow, all dimensions checked and fit all for under £200 .

so I will now try pressure fermentation,oxygen free dry hopping and pressure transfer.

first brew a Sarah Hughes ruby mild partial mash.

That's some decisive, decision making!
David Heath has a good video on pressure fermentation and there will be more good resources from the Kegland guys (and others) on YT too. I think there are also some good threads on here about the very same topic!

Sounds like you have some new tricks to tryout and learn and it might be fun to post some opinions and experiences down the line once you've a few different brews done on the new gear.

Had a look at the AHB deal. Might look into getting one but I'd need to check my fridge dimensions and hope it will fit/that the deal is still on by the end of the month for payday!

yes I have been looking at videos on the kegland site some good tutorials.
As to being decisive , long background in the Royal Marines .
investigated, evaluate. execute.

Ha the user name/avatar image was the giveaway
well you will not believe my luck.
the guy over the road from me came and had a few pints in my new outdoor bar two years ago . he liked my set up so built a garden man cave with commercial two line beer cooler and two cornikegs plus co2.
hes used it once in two years and offered to sell the setup to me for £50 the lot.

happy days and fun setting it up in my bar

Ha the user name/avatar image was the giveaway
well you will not believe my luck.
the guy over the road from me came and had a few pints in my new outdoor bar two years ago . he liked my set up so built a garden man cave with commercial two line beer cooler and two cornikegs plus co2.
hes used it once in two years and offered to sell the setup to me for £50 the lot.

happy days and fun setting it up in my bar

Latest posts

Back