Gravy Browning...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MidlandBrewer

Reaction score
I was really confused when I saw this while making dinner tonight...
Has anyone ever used this while making beer????
How....when.....why?????!!!!

brownings.jpg

Coincidently enough someone mentioned it a few days ago in relation to (i think) newkie brown. Years ago gravy browning was/may have been used as a colouring agent for beer

Hmmm! I've only ever used Gravy Browning to flavour and colour gravy made from stock and flour so obviously I just had to look into it. :lol:

Check out ...

http://www.cooksinfo.com/gravy-browning

... where you will find other uses apart from making gravy and colouring beer.

Amazing Forum this for getting the old brain-cells going! :thumb: :thumb:

great stuff it is, and boy does it go a long way too, a drop or 2 is all you need for a rich dark gravy when the meat juices alone provide an anemic sauce..
be mindful of rinsing the drips residue off the bottle neck before recapping as it sets harder than superglue..

iirc the wine guy 70's wine brewer CJJ Berry suggested it as an adjunct for lme/sugar brews where only light extract was available, tho i never tried it..

Dave Line includes it in his recipes (1970's) ... when home-brewing really was home-brewing. I wouldn't even consider today, there is plenty of very good crystal malt out there.
If you want colour, check out Ron Pattinson's book on brewing vintage beers and making your own brewing sugar... it's fun and adds flavours that you absolutely will not find anywhere else.

Errrr.... until I read this I had completely forgotten that, years ago, I used gravy browning in my beers.
But I have forgotten why. Perhaps best left that way.....

I had a bottle over 10 years old in my cupboard, well past its sell by date - until my daughter done a clear out. It was still in good shape and I had used it in the previous year to make gravy.

Damn kids :eek:

Last edited:
Ha not that long ago (early noughties..) I went through my mams cupboards with her and had heated discussions about the viability of co-op jams and Princes corned beef tins with old money price tickets on em.. I lost, and they remained in the back of a cupboard for another 5 years.. and i think my gravy browning is close to a decade old with about an inch drop in liquid level since new..

Back in the day it was commonly used but only the kind of gravy browning that was caramel. No-one was using Bisto.

I remember coarse oatmeal being cooked and then coloured/flavoured with Gravy Browning. The mixture was then allowed to cool and set, cut into slabs, fried in dripping and served as "Meatloaf" with an Oxo and onion gravy.

Quite tasty but not something I would cook today, although I do occasionally serve skirley for Scottish friends.

https://recipeland.com/recipe/v/skirley-33730

Delicious accompaniment for a "meat and two veg" lunch! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I remember coarse oatmeal being cooked and then coloured/flavoured with Gravy Browning. The mixture was then allowed to cool and set, cut into slabs, fried in dripping and served as "Meatloaf" with an Oxo and onion gravy.

Quite tasty but not something I would cook today, although I do occasionally serve skirley for Scottish friends.

https://recipeland.com/recipe/v/skirley-33730

Delicious accompaniment for a "meat and two veg" lunch! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Yeah. Tasty.

:sick:

Ha not that long ago (early noughties..) I went through my mams cupboards with her and had heated discussions about the viability of co-op jams and Princes corned beef tins with old money price tickets on em.. I lost, and they remained in the back of a cupboard for another 5 years.. and i think my gravy browning is close to a decade old with about an inch drop in liquid level since new..

When my grandmother got a new kitchen back in 1999, my dad found a jar of horseradish sauce in the cupboard with a competition that expired in 1972!

Latest posts

Back