greetings!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marksa222

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
Really new to homebrew, infact i'm waiting for my starter kit to be delivered. I've bought a coopers diy beer kit. It's the one with the Krausen collar and no air lock. It seemed like the most straight forward one. I also got a brew belt because I don't have anywhere to store the beer above whatever temperature it happens to be outside.

I got the coopers real ale kit to start with.

I'd really welcome any tips to avoid pitfalls or to enhance the flavour. Also if anyone has the cooper kit, it'd be nice to know if I made the right choice.

Can't wait to get started!

Welcome to the forum. The "How To" section is well worth a read for anyone just starting out :thumb:
Watch the temps with a brew belt as they can get a little too high, don't let the brew get above 21-22deg
:cheers:

I believe the Cooper's kits are (a) good value and (b) fairly well thought of

oldbloke said:
I believe the Cooper's kits are (a) good value and (b) fairly well thought of

I'm so glad you said that! I went for that one after seeing a tutorial from "craigtube" on youtube although I wondered if it was a little subjective when I saw you can buy the stuff through him on a later video.

I can't find a review of the Coopers Real Ale on here. Has anyone tried it? Would you bother trying to mix things up a bit with a hop tea or something on your first attempt?

Thanks for all the welcomes!

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

I would keep it simple for your first brew, get to know the process etc. the instructions may be a little optimistic, you will do no harm keeping it in your fv for 10-14 days befor bottling / kegging :thumb:

Welcome to the forum :cheers: my first kit was the coopers real ale, it turned out good at an abv of 5.5% hope you get the bug and enjoy brewing :D I also watched craigtube when first entering the art of brewing :cheers:

hi and welcome to the forum .... :thumb: .
its a great forum .... :) .

with lots of great people ... ;)
i love my kit but i wish i had yours .... :thumb:

them coopers starter kits are fantastic...

regards mick... :hat: .

keep it simple to start, go with 500g of brewing sugar and 500g of light malt extract make sure your wort is well airated before putting in the yeast and have the big thing...patience :cheers:

billy994 said:
keep it simple to start, go with 500g of brewing sugar and 500g of light malt extract make sure your wort is well airated before putting in the yeast and have the big thing...patience :cheers:

Thanks for the tip. The kit i'm getting comes with Coopers Brew Enhancer 2. Is that just brewing sugar? If so, and light malt extract will be a good part substitution, would you mind posting a link to a decent example of lme please?

Very late post due to my 4 week old son :sulk: I can't wait to sleep again haha

It's a mixture of Dextrose (brewing sugar) and DME (dried malt extract). I'd go with that as its your first brew, it'll come out good!

I sympathise with your early wake up call, my 12 week old is refusing to go back to sleep right now!

Latest posts

Back