Greg Hughes recipes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine was more a west coast IPA due to the bitterness. Was quite bitter but just right for me but still had the amazing citrus aromas from the dry hopping. After this time is is almost clear but has taken on an amber hue now probably due to oxidation.
My dry hop will be done in the keg. I like a bitter beer so looking forward to this. was tempted to add some crystal for colour settled on wheat for head . 👍

Last edited:
Bottled a small batch based on his mild and filled a 5l keg with his ruby mild last night.
Probably a bit late, but I'm hoping to do a small batch based on his Christmas ale later. Unfortunately this will need more than the usual adaptations.
  • I don't have the Carafa special 1 so using CS 3 instead,
  • Willamette rather than Styrian Goldings
  • Sugar rather than Candy crystals
  • As always, a dried yeast substitute.
So probably nothing like intended, but as close as I think I can get with what's available to hand!

Saturday i tried to brew the roggenbier, please note the word "tried". After about 40 minutes of faffing around i was unable to get any recirculation despite adding 250 grams of rice hulls, and slung the whole lot in the bin.

I'm lead to believe that I should of started with a beta-glucanese rest.

Great thread. I'd seen lots of references to this book so grabbed a copy when I took the kids to the library on Saturday morning. Perused it with a nice APA at the cafe/brewery next door straight after, might take them to the library more often... ;)

Anyway, have read the entire thread and consensus seems to be the following are worth a look (within my style preferences)...
  • Black IPA
  • California common
  • Spring beer
  • Cornish Tin miner's ale
  • Brown porter
  • American wheat
The Weiss also has a few mentions but I'm not a fan of weissbeer.

I'd planned to just take a few notes and do some Brewfather Brewzilla recipe adjustments, but the yeast, malt and hop charts might just make it worth buying a copy...

Great thread. I'd seen lots of references to this book so grabbed a copy when I took the kids to the library on Saturday morning. Perused it with a nice APA at the cafe/brewery next door straight after, might take them to the library more often... ;)

Anyway, have read the entire thread and consensus seems to be the following are worth a look (within my style preferences)...
  • Black IPA
  • California common
  • Spring beer
  • Cornish Tin miner's ale
  • Brown porter
  • American wheat
The Weiss also has a few mentions but I'm not a fan of weissbeer.

I'd planned to just take a few notes and do some Brewfather Brewzilla recipe adjustments, but the yeast, malt and hop charts might just make it worth buying a copy...
I have made the California Common and the Black IPA. Making the Black IPA again this Friday but only adding the dark malts during the last 15 mins of the mash this time. Was good before but I want to see what it's like without the slight roast flavour. Also made the American IPA, Neipa, Raspberry Wheat, the single hop beers and the imperial IPA. All been great. The only one I did not like was the Summer Ale, weak and insipid. Managed to drink half of it trying to convince myself it was ok,ish. But then threw it away.....

Thanks for that, useful info. athumb..

A question though, I don't have the book in front of me but think the NEIPA just said to add hops 'at end of boil' before the dry hop additions. I tried inputting recipe into Brewfather but couldn't get the IBUs to line up unless I made it something like last 8 minutes of boil...?
Any thoughts on this? Is it recipe error or am I doing something wrong. Never seen a recipe with hops only added post boil...?

(and ordered the book yesterday) 🙂

I have 8l of something not dissimilar to his Brown Porter fermenting at the moment. I changed out the yeast for whatever dried yeast in the fridge seemed most appropriate.
I also tapped a 5l keg of the oatmeal stout at the weekend. I was a little apprehensive, since it was brewed in spring and I'd read that it can suffer from going stale. No complaints so far though!

add hops 'at end of boil' before the dry hop additions. I tried inputting recipe into Brewfather but couldn't get the IBUs to line up unless I made it something like last 8 minutes of boil...?
Any thoughts on this? Is it recipe error or am I doing something wrong.

Don't worry about it - the bittering effect of hops added towards the end of the boil and in particular in the whirlpool and as dry hops is complicated to calculate as compounds other than isomerised alpha acids also contribute to the bittering effect. Most software handles it badly, and many older programs don't calculate it properly at all - so don't get too hung up on it.

Personally I don't like the no-boiled-hops kind of NEIPAs, the lack of even a little bit of boiled bittering hops just leaves them unbalance IMO.

A question though, I don't have the book in front of me but think the NEIPA just said to add hops 'at end of boil' before the dry hop additions. I tried inputting recipe into Brewfather but couldn't get the IBUs to line up unless I made it something like last 8 minutes of boil...?
Any thoughts on this? Is it recipe error or am I doing something wrong. Never seen a recipe with hops only added post boil...?

I've brewed the GH NEIPA recipe twice this year. Hops (Simcoe and Amarillo) are added at the end of the boil. Really enjoyed and am still enjoying this beer. Came third in the September competition.

Sorry for the late reply. As someone said there is enough bitterness from those late hops in the final beer. I enjoyed it very much as did friends of mine. It was very tasty... But they are not everyone's cup of tea.....

I've just brewed the English IPA from the Hughes book. Stupidly I didn't read the recipe properly and brewed short. Its come out at 5.9% - oops. Its going into the corny tomorrow.

The next is the Belgian Blonde Ale. Doing that one tomorrow. It was interesting making the amber sugar candy...

I'm looking for a Leffe clone or something like it - hoping the Belgian Blonde will be something like it.

I've just brewed the English IPA from the Hughes book. Stupidly I didn't read the recipe properly and brewed short. Its come out at 5.9% - oops. Its going into the corny tomorrow.

The next is the Belgian Blonde Ale. Doing that one tomorrow. It was interesting making the amber sugar candy...

I'm looking for a Leffe clone or something like it - hoping the Belgian Blonde will be something like it.
You won't go far wrong with this Belgian Blonde – Leffe clone | The Malt Miller

The Belgian blonde is superb in colour and clarity. I do think ive got an aftertaste to it but on the whole Im happy. My pal loves it. So the quicker he finishes it the better.

I had 3.5 pints of the Hughes IPA on friday while he enjoyed the Belgian I brewed, and I cant remember going to bed...or ordering 2 takeout meals...which were delivered!

Great thread, as a newbie with only 5 AG under my belt I found the comments very informative.
Also pleased that so many experience brewers are making silly mistakes, at least I won't beat myself up so much when I make another.
Cheers.

Back