Gruit Experiment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duncs

Landlord.
Reaction score
I thought I'd try an experimental 1 gallon batch of a gruit along the lines of Back to Basics, just to see how it goes. I've come up with this recipe and I'll be brewing it next week sometime. This will be a first for me, so any tips (other that don't do it) would be appreciated.

1.000Kg Pale Malt
0.050Kg Crystal 60

1.5 grams Yarrow
1.5 grams Mugwort
1.5 grams Horehound

Est OG 1.042 @ 70% Efficiency

Yarrow and Mugwort in for a 60 minute boil
Horehound for 15 minute boil

Bottle condition for 4 months (or longer depending on how it tastes)

Ok, so the herbs arrived today, sooner than I had expected, so today turned into a brew day instead of the other things SWMBO had arranged for me. Here's how it went

doughing in
8151573731_64d47e7410.jpg

Tucked up for a few hours
8151574343_6ddf36815e.jpg

Herbs weighed out
8151595632_b2613a519f.jpg
8151569735_4ee95217dd.jpg

Smells like soup
8151567887_d9ac63c48c.jpg

Cooling in the sink
8151569027_5e2e3c68be.jpg

and finally in the DJ
8151568453_ec65c51305.jpg

I bottled this yesterday, first taste says it's going to be very nice which is unexpected. I wasn't sure if it should be carbonated or not so have primed with 1/4 teaspoon per bottle.

Well it's been in the shed all winter, so I thought it was about time for another taste. It's changed quite a lot from the last taste, for a start it's cleared :grin: it has a sweet and sour taste that is very pleasant. You can still taste the herbs, but only as a very slight background flavour.

I have a couple of bottles available to send out if anyone would like to try it. Drop me a PM and I'll get a bottle sent out to you (first couple of people to PM me), it may take a couple of weeks to post out as I don't get to the post office very often

I was thinking how nettles are generally used fresh, and the flowers of elder and meadowsweet must be fresh.

That makes think about growing these to use fresh, and also about capturing the flower qualities in a brew, as well as the leaves..

Have completely missed this thread, sounds like an interesting thing to do! Also a nettle 'hopped' beer, which will be possible pretty soon I should think.

Nettle beer is most definitely part of the historic brewing culture in the UK. There is, if memory serves, a recipe for nettle beer in the 1970's book by Ben Turner - The Homebrewer and Winemaker Calender. It basically substitutes young nettle tops for for hops.

Additions to the drink known as Ale or Beer - from malted barley - will have been many, and repeated, over the millenia. I suspect that actually hops make better beer than nettles, but Why Not -?

- Get the gloves on this summer and give it a go?

Thinking, a late Nettle addition? @ 5 mins?

Not sure about nettles but, I've definitely got my eye on a elderflower beer at the end of summer. I'm sure Holland and barrat will do dried but would fresh be way better? Elderflower is one of my favourite flavours; a gin and tonic flavoured with a dash of St germane liquer is a wonderful thing!

Not sure about nettles but, I've definitely got my eye on a elderflower beer at the end of summer. I'm sure Holland and barrat will do dried but would fresh be way better? Elderflower is one of my favourite flavours; a gin and tonic flavoured with a dash of St germane liquer is a wonderful thing!

Crazy not to pick your own, which can be dried by leaving face up on newspaper in a warm dry place, if not able to brew with immediately. Definitely best to use fresh.

I have heard of people using elderflower essence, to add to the home-done flavours. Seems to be made by stewing the flowers in cooking rum. Have never bought, so can't comment on. But suspect capture more of the flavour than fully dried flowers.

Latest posts

Back