Guess what it is

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffers brewery

Complicated Brewer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. So, being in the “at risk” group SWMBO has grounded me so I’ve been trying to find things to do. A shed and garage rummage provided a wealth of off-cuts and odds-and-sods so I’ve put my creative juices in gear to see what I could make to supplement my growing hoard of brewing gadgets :laugh8:. So, here’s my first one. I’ve included a 10p piece to give you an idea of size. I can tell you it’s nice to have but not essential. Have you got one like this? Do you know what it is?
88A7D693-CD47-4590-9433-25F0D503DE52.jpeg

Should have another unnecessary gadget ready for the weekend. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Is it bung that satisfies the need to carry a full range of sizes?
Many are 'one size fits all', so is this the "Many sizes and doesn't fit anything"?

They look like part of a set of weights for balance scales. The slot in each weight slides over a perpendicular bar.

Four weights at 5 - 3 - 2 & 1 Units will allow weighing of 11 - 10 - 9 - 8 - 7 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 & 1 Units.
That was my guess too, trouble was, all the weights I have seen the slot usually goes half way. Could be ambidextrous weights to suit which hand you are using.:laugh8:

This might be a work in progress or maybe the gadget doesn’t need a finished surface (or maybe it’s the photo!) but I wonder if you’re trying to trick us and the finished surface is on the inside or underneath?

If it wasn’t for the conical shape I’d guess something to help you tighten/loosen the lid on your PB.

You may have to take some more photos or give us a clue - is it the right way up, is the stepped conical shape necessary?

Interesting to see how your brains work ashock1
View attachment 24002
this is what the underside looks like...
View attachment 24003
close up of the slot.

I thought the plank was just a backdrop for the gadget. Now I see it’s an integral part of the gadget, I’d say it’s a footplate and the slotted cone goes into the bottom of something to stop it twisting while you apply rotational force - might still be a keg?

It's a stillage.
Something to tilt the keg over to one side to get every last drop out while holding it still so the opening and closing the tap doesn't cause the nearly-empty keg or cask to rotate.
Anywhere close?

I thought the plank was just a backdrop for the gadget. Now I see it’s an integral part of the gadget, I’d say it’s a footplate and the slotted cone goes into the bottom of something to stop it twisting while you apply rotational force - might still be a keg?
Well guessed!
IMG_20200402_133700337_HDR.jpg

No, it's not a holder for the cap spanner! The King Keg sits on the plate and the web that's inside the conical indent in the base of the keg fits in the slot. Size 10's are applied at each end of the plate to stop it moving while both hands are used on the spanner to tighten or undo the cap. clapa
Watch this space for another "what is it" tomorrow ashock1

Last edited:
Today’s conundrum is not quite finished (waiting for a delivery) but I think there’s enough for you to be working on asad.
A89D5120-39F3-4500-9B86-47FF5B553D62.jpeg

72AA327D-D38D-472F-B58A-B26E2AE2E39B.jpeg

Just had a delivery...
2142C975-20FA-425D-A61C-A6E5943B3FE9.jpeg

That’s the complete thing...
I look forward to hearing your thoughts (and psychoanalysing them) :laugh8:

Last edited:
It's a stabilizer for your test jar (measuring cylinder) to stop the bugler falling over. Just clamp it over the base of the jar and tighten up the nuts.
It could also be used for cutting rubber washers although i can't imagine why one would want to unless they're bottle or jar seals.

Latest posts

Back