Guinness brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

col222

Reaction score
I am about to start a Guinness brew this has to be one of my favourite drinks of all this , the recipe is a clone but it says to use food grade 88% lactic acid to your liking , it dose not say how much to use or when to add it . I think it means after fermentation or maybe when bottling , It says an easy less complicated way to slightly souring Guinness , So if there is anyone that brews Guinness or knows that can give me some tips would be a great help ,

I agree that bottled Guinness needs to have a bit of a sour twang. I achieve this by adding 200g of acidulated malt to the mash (20-23 litre batch). It's still lactic acid, but it hasn't come out of a bottle.

Last edited:
I'm no expert in the style but the simple recipe in the Wheeler book tasted good to me, really simple. Something like 70% pale malt, 10% roasted barley,20% flaked barley and bittered to 45IBU with Target, no late hops. And as above 100g of acidulated malt for the sourness, although I didn't have that.

I'm no expert in the style but the simple recipe in the Wheeler book tasted good to me, really simple. Something like 70% pale malt, 10% roasted barley,20% flaked barley and bittered to 45IBU with Target, no late hops. And as above 100g of acidulated malt for the sourness, although I didn't have that.
That is mostly the recipe i have , it dose not say acidulated malts just says lactic acid , I don't have acidulated malt but i do have some lactic acid, i was thinking would it be ok to add some to the wort to get a little sourness taste i do want it to be very sour in taste .

Guinness used to add about 2% sour Guinness to the batch to give it that distinctive twang. But nowadays they do not. This is according to the joy of hb by Charlie P. He also gives a recipe for G. You can download it for free. Might be worth a squint. I have several recipes for G at home but I'm on holiday ATM. If you want, I will take a look at them in a few days time and report any differences?

If that's the recipe you gave on the Small Batch Irish Stout thread, I've made that a couple of times and liked it very much. athumb..

Guinness used to add about 2% sour Guinness to the batch to give it that distinctive twang. But nowadays they do not. This is according to the joy of hb by Charlie P. He also gives a recipe for G. You can download it for free. Might be worth a squint. I have several recipes for G at home but I'm on holiday ATM. If you want, I will take a look at them in a few days time and report any differences?
thanks i would really appreciate that always worth having a good Guinness recipe at hand , As for the sourness taste i don't think its in all Guinness but depending on where it was made , and really i think it probably would be just as fine without it .

Being from Ireland and living in Dublin, this is the one brew that I make which brings out my harshest critics...even my Mother and she doesn't drink alcohol.

However, I'm still not happy with my recipe, so it's not worth sharing yet but I'll keep on tweaking.

I don't use lactic acid because (for me) the bitterness comes mostly from the roasted barley and keeping the PH low.

I do know people who have invested in nitrogen in order to get the creamy thick mouth feel but that's a step too far for me. So, I just add 250g of quick porridge oats after my initial mash (btw if my friends and family find out I'll be imprisoned for heresy).

Other people use quick oats later in the mash and in different quantities. It's one of the tweakables.

Oh, and I don't bottle only keg a full 23L batch - I have many critics to serve!

This is from Omnipollo. Syramalt is acid malt.
DSC_0119.JPG

Back