Guitar solos

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So a few Rush fans on here. Checkout the tribute act Bravado, they are simply amazing, playing here again in Gloucester in 2 weeks time, last time they played for 3 hours! Professional musicians who do the Rush stuff on the side, so don't do too many gigs.
https://www.planetbravado.com/
We saw a tribute band a few weeks ago who do loads of songs from loads of different rock artists and they did a very good version of YYZ

Sadly more into piano solos…. Chopin’s nocturnes and Rachmaninov for me… I could start another thread for piano solos?🤓…. It’s ok I’ll get my coat. :coat:
Allow me. I'll get it for you. Is that your umbrella, too?

Only joking, but Chopin???
What about John Lord, Rick Wakeman, Keith Emerson, Rod Argent, Fats Domino, Carole King, Mrs Mills, to mention but a few. But Ludwig von Chopin? Do leave it arrht.

Sadly more into piano solos…. Chopin’s nocturnes and Rachmaninov for me… I could start another thread for piano solos?🤓…. It’s ok I’ll get my coat. :coat:
I’m very partial to a bit of Rach, I played the 2nd for my daughter recently. She’s grade 6 at the minute and getting really into classical piano music.

Back when my fingers did work I spent a long time trying to play Bach’s Partita in Dm, the finale to Haydn No.88 and numerous other classical pieces, mostly transcribed by Paul Gilbert.

EDIT: just re-read this. When I said I’d played the Rach 2 for Kate, I should clarify that it was on Spotify!

Last edited:
@DocAnna. There are guitar solos out there for you too!

In my hay day I could keep up with him for about a minute, then the wheels would come off big style. It was something similar when the Haydn hit the sweep picky bit. A big part of was just stamina and finger fatigue, the rest was not being anyway near as good as PG at playing guitar😂

My youngest daughter plays bass guitar so I should be more loyal. Reading through and listening to the examples shown here I'll admit I'm pretty darned impressed @Tess Tickle's Brewery 😍.

Apples and Oranges - Pink Floyd
My Old School - Steely Dan (Skunk Baxter)
Come on - Jimi Hendrix
Suzie Q - Credence Clearwater Revival
Cinnamon Girl - Neil Young

This guy is one of the best blues rockers out there, this song has one of the best guitar solos of all time, in fact its one long solo interspersed by singing!

Lots of older stuff for me. Especially old blues. But my favourite by far is Brian May coning into We will Rock You.
Not sure why, but it just seems to grab and hold the whole song together.
Just wish it lasted longer. That to me is a mark of a good solo.

How did I miss this thread!!
Favourite solos in no particular order:

Duane Allman - Statesboro Blues, although I could pick anything that he played during his 24 short years on this earth.
Warren Haynes - Soulshine. There are loads of great versions of it on YouTube.
Albert Lee - Country Boy. Just mental playing.
Jerry Reed - The Claw. An instrumental so just one long solo.
Derek Trucks - Midnight in Harlem. Like the rest of these guys I could pick 20 solos by Derek and they'd all be amazing...

If I wrote this list tomorrow night it would have 5 different players. There are so many fantastic guitar players out there.

Technically not a solo but this is me playing guitar a couple of years ago, six weeks after falling off a ladder and causing a radial head fracture in my left arm. 😂

Frank Zappa - Black Napkins, Montana and about 100 other solo's

Rory Gallagher - Walking on Hot Coals or anything of the Irish Tour album

Latest posts

Back