Guitar solos

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My favourites change all the time, but some playing on live albums are always near the top:

Michael Schenker on Rock Bottom and Lights Out (from Strangers in the Night). I think these may have been mentioned....
Uli Jon Roth on We'll burn the sky from Tokyo Tapes.
Jimi Hendrix on Johnny B Goode from an old vinyl album called Hendrix in the West
Zal Cleminson on Vambo from Live by Sensational Alex Harvey Band.
Loads of Rory Gallagher stuff, but Shin Kicker from Stage Struck is just what you need to clear the cobwebs away.
I nearly put We'll Burn the Sky.....also - Schenker's solo on High Flyer kills me every time....

Don't think anyone has mentioned John Frusciante. I was at this concert, back when I had a life 😅

Jammy git! I was at Hyde Park the following year.

I think he's one of the most under-rated modern guitarists, for me he's the best of his era. I think this demonstrates the breadth of his ability incredibly; some melodic moments, some rhythmic layering to support the bass line and then a big rocking solo to cap it all off.

Jammy git! I was at Hyde Park the following year.

I think he's one of the most under-rated modern guitarists, for me he's the best of his era. I think this demonstrates the breadth of his ability incredibly; some melodic moments, some rhythmic layering to support the bass line and then a big rocking solo to cap it all off.

Matt Bellamy from muse is another one, Josh homme from queen's if the stone age as well

This is a dificult one to answer. so many brilliant artists an guitarsolo's to choose from.
In the end this might be my top five:

5. Pink floyd Cluster One - The Division Bell

Actually I might be mistaken on this one. Marooned is even better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7YMI39sObY
4. Basically anything from The Shadows would do, but I chose the theme from the movie "The Deer Hunter".

3. Another movie theme. This one by Mark Knopfler - Going home from the movie "Local Hero".

2. This is a long one....Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield

1. My absolute favorite though is The Healer by John Lee Hooker and Santana

Last edited:
This is epic.
Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb from the Pulse concert 1994

I WAS THERE!!!!!

I would agree with most of the selections so far, really good mix.

Alternative solos from me...
Tool, the Grudge. 4 minute build up, but then Wham! What a pounding bit of guitar.
Or Tool, Schism. Might sound like one repeating line throughout on first listen, but there are nearly 50 different time signatures in six minutes and 46 seconds. Magical and genius

And lastly placebo, burger queen. Not a solo as such, but the guitar hook had me fall in love with this song. Just listen to it from minute 4 and listen to the bowowow at the end of each cycle. GAH, the beauty.

Another instrumental that is basically one long solo, Alex Lifeson from Rush. He covered a vast landscape over the years but to me this is him at his peak.

Another massive Rush fan here. Don’t think Alex Lifeson got the credit he deserved. So glad I got to see them before Neil passed. Ticked off my bucket list!
Although nearly everyone on this list is brilliant as well.👍🏻

I WAS THERE!!!!!

I would agree with most of the selections so far, really good mix.

Alternative solos from me...
Tool, the Grudge. 4 minute build up, but then Wham! What a pounding bit of guitar.
Or Tool, Schism. Might sound like one repeating line throughout on first listen, but there are nearly 50 different time signatures in six minutes and 46 seconds. Magical and genius

And lastly placebo, burger queen. Not a solo as such, but the guitar hook had me fall in love with this song. Just listen to it from minute 4 and listen to the bowowow at the end of each cycle. GAH, the beauty.
Tool - schism. As a bass player myself, wow this is awesome!

Another massive Rush fan here. Don’t think Alex Lifeson got the credit he deserved. So glad I got to see them before Neil passed. Ticked off my bucket list!
Yeah, I think if I had to choose 1 band only it would be Rush: I saw them every UK tour from '88, sometimes multiple times, disappointed they didn't bring the R40 tour over here and was too young to see the great tours of the late 70s, for some reason they didn't come over here in the early/mid 80s.

Yeah, I think if I had to choose 1 band only it would be Rush: I saw them every UK tour from '88, sometimes multiple times, disappointed they didn't bring the R40 tour over here and was too young to see the great tours of the late 70s, for some reason they didn't come over here in the early/mid 80s.
Yep, Rush we’re a class act from every perspective. Song writing, musicianship the lot. Not many people can play keyboards, Bas and sing at the same time.
Don’t come across many Rush fans so let me ask you guys a question. Is it just me that thinks Ben Elton stole the whole storyline of the Queen musical “We will rock you” from Neil Pearts lyrics in 2112? It’s virtually identical. I can’t believe there’s not be a legal battle there.

Yep, Rush we’re a class act from every perspective. Song writing, musicianship the lot. Not many people can play keyboards, Bas and sing at the same time.
Don’t come across many Rush fans so let me ask you guys a question. Is it just me that thinks Ben Elton stole the whole storyline of the Queen musical “We will rock you” from Neil Pearts lyrics in 2112? It’s virtually identical. I can’t believe there’s not be a legal battle there.
Us Rush fans are meek and will inherit the earth.....but that Ben Elton thing......I have to investigate that!
I really really really don't like musicals, so would never have noticed....SO intrigued now.....

Last edited:
Although not really well known for the intricate or fast guitar solos, one person who deserves a mention for his all round guitar work must be Steve Lukather. Although best known for being front man for TOTO, he is one of the most talented session guitarists around and not many people know he is actually reported to have played guitar on over 1,500 albums, not least of all Michael Jackson’s “Off the Wall” and “Thriller” albums. It was his birthday recently and the radio station Planet Rock asked listeners what they thought his best guitar solo was. One person replied to say “Running with the Night by Lionel Richie”. I didn’t even know that was him but a google search confirmed it. Have a listen. It’s a masterclass in knowing exactly what a song needs. Not only that, but that solo has also been nominated as the best one take solo ever. Apparently he was only warming up in the studio, then when he asked if they were ready to go they said “it‘s ok, we already got it”. 🙌👌

This thread got me playing a bit after a very long break. Thought I have a go at something easier first. The timing is suspect, my pick control is awful and my fingers have forgotten how to work properly.
But it was great fun.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back