Handling unruly syphon tubes with one hand.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewBandit

Reaction score
Having only one arm, handling the syphon tube, keeping it in place, avoiding it springing and churning up sediment etc always poses a challenge at racking off time!

I use a syphon rod with bucket clip but even so it's a bugger. I was wondering if anyone uses rubber hose as opposed to the plastic tubing that seems to come with most syphon gear, and if so, do you find it more compliant and with less coil memory etc?

Also any other tips you can think of to assist with one armed racking? Give it a go, can be fun! Lol.

Having only one arm, handling the syphon tube, keeping it in place, avoiding it springing and churning up sediment etc always poses a challenge at racking off time!

I use a syphon rod with bucket clip but even so it's a bugger. I was wondering if anyone uses rubber hose as opposed to the plastic tubing that seems to come with most syphon gear, and if so, do you find it more compliant and with less coil memory etc?

Also any other tips you can think of to assist with one armed racking? Give it a go, can be fun! Lol.

You could try using spring clamps to hold things in place, quick and easy to attach and detach with one hand and should hold things in place for you. I've even seen bi-brachial brewers on YouTube using those to make things a bit easier.
You could definitely replace your hoses for something more suitable to your needs but just make sure you get food grade ones.

I use two clothes pegs wired together
1592485684001.png

Much better than the blue clip I bought which allows the tube to move about

I extended the stiff tube of the syphon with half a tube from another (joined with a short section of the flexible syphone tube) this means the thin part of the tube fits in the bucket clip and a clothes peg holds it in place.

I use a bit of a combination of all the above. It works well I find. It also means I have my hands free to tilt my pot and reduce the amount of sediment drawn up.
IMG_20200616_202954.jpg
IMG_20200616_203004.jpg
IMG_20200616_202951.jpg

Some excellent hints and tips, thanks. Before the next racking is due I shall gather some bits and bobs and practice with water. Time to channel Heath Robinson!

Silicone hose every time, it's more "floppy" and tends to stay where it's put. Shame it's X times more expensive!

Yes, I saw those while looking to see if there were any rubber ones, wondered if they might be more flexible and floppy as you say. Might invest in a length, cheers.

Latest posts

Back