Has this been done before or will it go wrong?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

will_raymo2000

Reaction score
For my boiler I wanted the tap raised up a bit due to a paranoia about the tap getting too hot from being licked by the gas flame.

I have got the bazooka hop filter, screwed into a 90 degree 1/2inch, which is in turn screwed into another which then has a parallel nipple, through the pot and secured onto the tap. Obviously will need a hose attached lower than the pot to achieve the syphon effect but my thoughts are will this work?! I know it will work with water but how about when hops are involved and block up some of the filter.

I think also the deadspace will also be increased due to the liquid stopping drawing when it reaches the top of the bazooka filter and air getting in.

yes will work, and yes u have spotted the weakness of the bazooka style filter..

not a big weakness tho as the hydrated hops will be a significant proportion of the bottom inch of the pot.

hugging the filter to the pot side close to the tap exit will allow a tip to keep it submerged.

edit... i solved the issue using a long length of braid to circle the kettle bottom joined to an internal dip tube with a bottom T, a tip forward kept the t submerged for a minimal deadspace..

10271262946_bef9c0cc0b.jpg

Latest posts

Back