have we just ruined our beer??!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SusieB

Reaction score
My partner and I just had the bright idea of filtering a Festival American IPA through some cloth (an old sheet) into another bucket then added the sugar then bottled it have we completely ruined our beer?? Just read that filtering is a definite no no. It had brewed for 2 weeks prior to this.

Provided the cloth was clean, it'll probably be fine.

The reason you don't want to filter beer that will be bottle conditioned is that it filters out the yeast and you want the yeast to ferment the priming sugar to carbonate the beer. BUT that is what happens if you use a fine filter. The holes in the cloth are plenty big enough to let the yeast through. So it should carbonate in the bottle fine for you

My other worry would oxidisation on a finished beer unless you can do it without exposing to loads of air and no splashing

Provided the cloth was clean, it'll probably be fine.

The reason you don't want to filter beer that will be bottle conditioned is that it filters out the yeast and you want the yeast to ferment the priming sugar to carbonate the beer. BUT that is what happens if you use a fine filter. The holes in the cloth are plenty big enough to let the yeast through. So it should carbonate in the bottle fine for you
phew! thanks for that perhaps all is not lost an act of temporary madness!

It can be better next time 😉
It hasn’t turned out bad yet this time
Beer has been brewed for thousands of years long before modern cleaning and transferring practices have been around and it’s worked up to now. People get too hung up on all the hype around brewing. Anyone can make beer.

It hasn’t turned out bad yet this time
Beer has been brewed for thousands of years long before modern cleaning and transferring practices have been around and it’s worked up to now. People get too hung up on all the hype around brewing. Anyone can make beer.

Listen to this guy, he knows the answers.

👍👍👍👍👍

Latest posts

Back