Hazelwood Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remove them completely normally although I left one fitted separating me from my closest neighbour while I’m at the bar (because of Covid).

I use these fittings...

View attachment 35686
The one on the left has a thread on the inside and the outside, and is drivein using a hex key. The M10 bolt on the right then screws into the inner thread.

This is the threaded insert in place
View attachment 35687

...and this is the tarp fitted..

View attachment 35688

Links for the fittings...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07GZV7L9X/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_inactive_ship_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/10mm-35mm-...aWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl&th=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07RCH52V6/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_inactive_ship_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ah, that’s excellent, thank you. I don’t know if I’m more pleased and the prospect of getting these installed or just the fact it’ll be something for me to do 😂

Ah, that’s excellent, thank you. I don’t know if I’m more pleased and the prospect of getting these installed or just the fact it’ll be something for me to do 😂

I like to be outdoors and they make a big difference so ordinarily I’d be able to use the bar all year round. At the moment though I can’t have people round and it’s a bit sad sitting alone at the bar!

Tomorrow I’m planning on brewing a dry stout so I’ve just been thinking through my water profile and recipe. This is what I’ve come up with...

For the water I’m leaning towards a profile like Dublin water. My tap water is not too far off the ratios between calcium, carbonate, chloride, and sulphate but my levels are too high so my plan is to dilute my tap water with RO water to bring the levels down. A 14:6 litre blend (tap:RO) will give me Carbonate 200, Calcium 105, Chloride 36, and Sulphate 50. Because I’m using tap water I’ll also add a 1/4 Campden tablet. I think that will do.

Dry Stout
3.5Kg Pale malt
600g Flaked barley
400g Malted oats
400g Roasted barley
100g Choc malt
75min mash at 150F

18g Magnum leaf AA=15.3% 60 mins
This should give me about 36 IBU’s

I may add 5g ground coffee beans at 10 mins?

I’m thinking of using US-05 because it’s clean and dry (and I need to use some up!).

As always, comments and suggestions are welcome. ;)

Last edited:
Is the Dublin profile from Brewers Friend? When I forayed into water treatment I was advised that it was a "historical" reference and the Chloride levels were low.
I used..
Ca 150 ;sulphate 75; chloride 180; kh 100
I used US05

I’ve done a search and read a few threads. I’m guessing the issue is that breweries might treat their water and the water profile for the area may not be what they use.

If so, I’m making an assumption that because the area is known for this particular style and has been for a loooong time, and because the product they produce is highly regarded the natural profile is good.

I wouldn’t use the Dublin profile for a Czech Pilsner ;)

Tomorrow will mark the end of my first batch of beers - a Czech Pilsner, two English Bitters, an IPA, and an Irish Stout.

Tuesday will be the start of the second batch - two saisons, Belgian Tripel, American Pale Ale, and either a Bock or an Impy.

It seems so long since I had a good selection. Not long now 🥳.

Unfortunately I heard today we should expect in Kent to have strong measures in place when the lockdown ends so I may still have no one to share it with 😭

Tomorrow will mark the end of my first batch of beers - a Czech Pilsner, two English Bitters, an IPA, and an Irish Stout.

Tuesday will be the start of the second batch - two saisons, Belgian Tripel, American Pale Ale, and either a Bock or an Impy.

Unfortunately I heard today we should expect in Kent to have strong measures in place when the lockdown ends so I may still have no one to share it with 😭
Impressive brewing schedule👍🏼🍺

That wee heavy in the comp looked tasty, in case you need another one for the restocking madness.

Oh also coffee beans, I haven't heard about them being used in the boil much. I wonder if it will get that stale taste you get when coffee sits on the burner for too long? Usually coffee only sits above 90c for a few minutes when brewing.

There will be a third round of brews so I’ll give it some thought.

Good point about the coffee, I drink gallons of the stuff so I should know better (yes, another addiction!). I probably won’t bother with the coffee but if I do have a rash change of mind I’ll drop them in at flameout. athumb..

No brown ale Mr H your daughter will not be pleased :tinhat:

Latest posts

Back