Hazelwood Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s nice, thank you! The scale is because I like a variety and because I like beer (and maybe I’m a touch greedy).

I honestly don’t think I’m doing any more than many people but having just refit my brew-shed as a retirement project it all looks shiny and new.

You’re welcome to ask to try something any time, I don’t expect anything in return. I’m also always happy to receive something though as and when ;)
I am a big believer in horse trading brother. I will never take without repaying 😂

I kegged the Russian Imperial this morning. FG was 1028 but I suspect it may not have finished, it can finish in the keg I’ve no time to waste. If it stays where it is it will still be 9.8%.

In the bottom of the fermenter was an inch-thick layer of really thick yeast, it was like chocolate spread.

Anyway the beer smelled lovely and tasted quite nice too, not as alcoholic tasting as I’d thought it might be. Conditioning now in the brew-shed.

49BBE694-652E-488F-8F3D-85F608F113EA.jpeg

My last job for today was to dry hop my next brew of Summer Breeze. Will be good to have some succession planning back again and to that end I’ll get another brew on in January.

In the meantime I need to plan batch 4. This batch will be a far easier two-brew batch. One of the beers will be a plum porter, I haven’t decided on the other yet.

wow, boil off 9 litres of wort. How long will that take, 3 Hours?

I forgot to get back to on this. It was over 3 hours, I think it was nearer 4 hours with my little kettle. I gave up on the fancy attempt to boil off more quickly because the amount of steam produced started to get everything wet from condensation.

Just tried one of my beers, an English Bitter from one of my King Kegs. It’s cleared nicely already (that’s sky and clouds you can see through the beer if it isn’t obvious). Unfortunately, the flavour isn’t there yet so I’ll have to wait a bit longer 😢

View attachment 37488
Yes,you wait H...til about 6 o'clock!

Next, the beer I want to develop to be similar to Sea Fury. This beer is also pretty clear and the flavour isn’t bad but I suspect this is going to be a miss in terms of similarity to Sea Fury, mine is far too fruity. As long as I get a nice beer I’ll be happy and can make adjustments when I try version 2.

2CE98F66-036C-4542-A935-71E221EC8B6E.jpeg

Last one for today, my American Pale. This one is still a little hazy but it’s only 1 week conditioned so I’d expect that. It smells really fruity (tropical, like Lilt!) and has a lovely sweet biscuity malt aroma in the background. The flavour is really nice too, it isn’t clean yet but I would drink this as it is. I may have a contender for January ;)

7EFBB29D-0054-441E-885F-CBBA58D9C928.jpeg

Have you started drinking any beer that you have adjusted the water. Have you noticed any improvement

I have now sampled my water-treated beer and it does make a difference I think. I only say “think” because it’s still a bit early and I have relatively few beers ready to judge but my Summer Breeze is now softer and the finish is clean - so clean it almost disappears in your mouth leaving no aftertaste at all.

I won’t be going back. ;)

Last edited:
Got my English Pale Ale kegged this morning. It finished at 1006 for an ABV of 4.73%. It tasted a bit boring out of the fermenter but I think I remember that being the case last time I brewed this ale. It turned out nice last time so I’m hoping that will be the case again.

I also bottled half a dozen pints for swaps, I know a few people that enjoy an English Pale/Bitter. This beer will clear in a few days but I don’t think the flavours will develop in time for this months competition (I do have others that might ;) ).

CF80899E-DB03-413E-9FF4-D6BAD8218A97.jpeg

Latest posts

Back