Hazelwood Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having re read, the majority stays in the boiler and ultimately the decanted wort to put back is only 10 litres, which was replaced by sparge water? Makes more sense if it's that way..... I would have "recirc" by jugging but think I will try this method

Having re read, the majority stays in the boiler and ultimately the decanted wort to put back is only 10 litres, which was replaced by sparge water? Makes more sense if it's that way..... I would have "recirc" by jugging but think I will try this method
That’s right. I recirculate the mash water using a pump as shown below. On the pump is a flow-control valve. When I start the sparge I close this valve, put the lid of the boiler on a 10litre bucket and open the valve. After a litre has gone into the bucket close the valve again.
F7795F50-7ACB-4546-9AC1-E476DEE6AAAC.jpeg

FA93AD9F-5BC5-46FE-8C20-2234F9DE2A02.jpeg

Next put a litre of sparge water in the boiler. I just use a jug for this.

D3EFA20A-62E8-4A35-89A8-45E6E8A1EC2F.jpeg

Then put the boiler lid back, turn on the valve, and let it recirculate for 7 minutes.

Repeat until all the sparge water has been added at which time you’ll also have 10 litres decanted into the bucket.

Attachments

• 06A0960B-4770-4391-A991-51E8047C3244.jpeg
    06A0960B-4770-4391-A991-51E8047C3244.jpeg
    26.3 KB · Views: 36
That’s right. I recirculate the mash water using a pump as shown below. On the pump is a flow-control valve. When I start the sparge I close this valve, put the lid of the boiler on a 10litre bucket and open the valve. After a litre has gone into the bucket close the valve again.
View attachment 41782
View attachment 41783

Next put a litre of sparge water in the boiler. I just use a jug for this.

View attachment 41784

Then put the boiler lid back, turn on the valve, and let it recirculate for 7 minutes.

Repeat until all the sparge water has been added at which time you’ll also have 10 litres decanted into the bucket.
I suspect I might not leave 7 minutes between litres whilst Instand there jugging it up and down 😂 70 minutes of that is frankly too much for me! I do suspect even just doing say 4 or 5 jug full for each litre added would be more efficient than my hash bash dunk the bag into 10 litres of hot water

Just a thought re your efficiency numbers, the wort volume, that would be while the grain is still in the mash? I think you have to deduct the volume of water absorbed by the grain and any other losses, i.e. you started with 20 litres of strike water but how much do you lose when it comes to removing the grain?

Just a thought re your efficiency numbers, the wort volume, that would be while the grain is still in the mash? I think you have to deduct the volume of water absorbed by the grain and any other losses, i.e. you started with 20 litres of strike water but how much do you lose when it comes to removing the grain?

You might have a point. I’m not sure how much is lost to the grain, somewhere between 3 and 4 litres?

Working on a 4 litre loss that brings your efficiency to 74% by my calcs. Still a good number! athumb..

Yes that’s right. Not deducting this volume is what led to the unrealistic efficiency. I normally look at efficiency at the end where of course all these losses are taken into account - I forgot to do the same deduction of losses for the mash, D’Oh!🤦‍♂️

Well I’m pleased to get to the bottom of it (but also a little disappointed I’m not getting 95% efficiency 😂).

It will be fairly close but I don’t think I lose quite that much. My total water volume is 30 litres and I usually have 23/24 litres in my FV plus a couple of litres at the bottom of my boiler so my losses are up to 5 litres including all the boil-off.

Man I lose a lot more than that. Reckon my boil off rate is 4 litres per hour and a decent wee bit space below the tap filled with slurry 😳

A rolling boil is all that’s needed so if you have a rollicking boil trying to jump out of your kettle you could turn it down a degree or two?

I have a 1900 and a 500 W heater so I could knock one off. I have contemplated this before and probably will do it, although I got DMS in my last lager brew so in those cases il just have to take the losses

I have a 1900 and a 500 W heater so I could knock one off. I have contemplated this before and probably will do it, although I got DMS in my last lager brew so in those cases il just have to take the losses
Do you chill down quickly? If you “no chill” I believe you will continue to produce DMS while the wort is hot but there’s no longer any boil off.

Do you chill down quickly? If you “no chill” I believe you will continue to produce DMS while the wort is hot but there’s no longer any boil off.
I use a immersion chiller which is rapid this time of year in the frozen North 😂

I am going to calm the boil down for my next brew though which will be a fruity APA type deal, partially inspired by your summer breeze but went feral with the hops

Latest posts

Back